- Milestone numbers for 2020
- How our milestones targeted SDGs
Message from the Executive Management Team
Our response to the COVID-19 pandemic
In a year of exceptional challenges and disruption, discover how CGIAR focused on supporting policymakers, farmers, consumers, and other food system stakeholders to mitigate the impacts of COVID-19 on those most affected by the pandemic.Read more
Our contribution to impact
CGIAR’s work contributes to the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Discover the ways in which we leveraged our expertise and partnerships to contribute to global impact in 2020.
Contribution to the SDGs
CGIAR in Ethiopia
Assessing CGIAR’s return on investment
Explore a selection of recent achievements from our research and innovation with partners around the world.
CGIAR has results indicators that allow System-level aggregated reporting: innovations, policies, partnerships, capacity development, Altmetric Attention Scores, and peer-reviewed publications. Explore the data on each indicator below, and via the CGIAR Results Dashboard.Dashboard
Altmetric Attention Scores
Explore highlights of CGIAR’s global engagement in 2020.
The four CGIAR Platforms focus on cross-cutting and multidisciplinary work, enabling collaboration across CGIAR. In 2020, our Platforms continued to drive innovations.
Big Data in AgricultureHow the Big Data Platform drove digital innovation, highlights of Inspire Challenge projects
Excellence in BreedingProgress on optimizing breeding programs, advances in shared genotyping services
Gender, diversity and inclusion in CGIAR workplaces
- Inside our new 2-year GDI Action Plan
- Our new GDI eLearning courses
- New workplace wellness initiatives
CGIAR digital strategy
- The four key trends shaping the future of digital agriculture
- The critical ways One CGIAR can strengthen the foundations of CGIAR
Use of pooled funding
- How we used W1/2 funds strategically for research or pathways to scale and impact
- Examples of approved W1/2 use in 2020
Monitoring, evaluation, learning and impact assessment
- The economic benefits of CGIAR germplasm
- The welfare impacts of climate services
- How we maintain the standards of our genebanks
- How we managed our intellectual assets in 2020
- Details on restricted arrangements
Open and FAIR data assets
- Our commitment to open and FAIR data
- Update on the GARDIAN database
- How we enhanced spatial visualization through CGLabs
CGIAR Advisory Services
- Contributions by the ISDC, SPIA and the Evaluation Function
- How CGIAR Advisory Services supported the One CGIAR transition process
- 2020 CGIAR System Internal Audit Function activities
- Cross-CGIAR internal audit work
- Internal Audit Function contributions to support resilience-building during the pandemic and One CGIAR transition
Funding & Finance
Our financial performance
CGIAR has a wealth of experience and knowledge spanning 50 years, with a global network of 15 top-class Research Centers that implement 16 Research Programs and Platforms in partnership with 3,000+ organizations in more than 70 countries around the world.
Photo credits: Our contribution to impact background: Portrait of a Dao woman, Vietnam. Photo by T. Chinh/Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT. Results 2020 background: Scientists work in a lab, Vietnam. Photo by T. Chinh/Alliance Bioversity International-CIAT. Our financial performance: Scientists working in a lab, Vietnam. Photo by T. Chinh/Alliance Bioversity International-CIAT. CGIAR Financial Dashboards: An assortment of whole, unprocessed maize and wheat kernels. Photo by A. Cortés/CIMMYT. Funders: Researchers sample roots for gene expression analysis. Photo by M. Quintana/IRRI. Active Grants Dashboard: A hearder with his animals, Azraq desert, Jordan. Photo by S. Abaza/IWMI. Additional credits on the second-level pages of the CGIAR Annual Performance Report 2020 website.