More than 25% of the world’s population lives on less than US $3.20 a day, making a healthy diet unaffordable for more than 3 billion people.
BACK TO TOP
livelihoods & jobs
Building on a 50-year track record
of lifting millions out of poverty.
And poverty disproportionately affects rural areas, where agriculture is the predominant livelihood activity.
Improving the livelihoods, jobs, and incomes of small-scale producers and other vulnerable people in agrifood value chains is crucial to the wellbeing of millions, and to the world’s ability to feed a growing population.
Through research and innovation, CGIAR aims to contribute to collective global targets for Poverty Reduction, Livelihoods, and Jobs:
- Lift at least 500 million people living in rural areas above the extreme poverty line of US $1.90 per day (2011 PPP).
- Reduce by at least half the proportion of men, women, and children of all ages living in poverty in all its dimensions according to national definitions.
To do this, CGIAR Initiatives will:
- Carry out policy research and engagements in all segments of food systems to help improve access to productive resources, knowledge, finance, and markets to foster inclusion and increase effectiveness of agricultural policies, social protection programs, and off-farm employment opportunities.
- Provide solutions for strengthening resilience, risk management, and competitiveness to improve income-generating opportunities and sustainability of small-scale agriculture and agrifood chain participation, with a focus on women and youth.
- Improve adoption of adapted and resilient varieties and breeds, as well as turnover of crop varieties, leading to higher or more resilient crop yields and livestock and fish productivity, in turn driving higher and more stable farmer incomes, access to new markets, and poverty reduction among farmers and value chain participants.
All CGIAR Initiatives will contribute to Poverty Reduction, Livelihoods, and Jobs. Below, browse a selection of Initiatives that primarily contribute to this Impact Area.
To see CGIAR Innovations already contributing to poverty reduction, livelihoods, and jobs, click here.