SUSTAINABLE FINANCE ANALYST
The CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS) is led by the Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), one of the 15 research centers of CGIAR. We bring together the world’s best researchers in agricultural, climate and earth science to deliver innovative research-based solutions that catalyze positive change towards low-carbon and climate-resilient food, land and water systems.
CCAFS considers sustainable finance as a key lever for change in the sustainability agenda and a crucial driver to support the transition to sustainable and climate-resilient food, land and water systems. Greater engagement on sustainable finance will contribute to reducing poverty, improvements in food and nutrition security and protection and regeneration of natural resources and ecosystem services. To that end, we work with governments, international financial institutions, asset owners, asset managers and corporates to help reorient and leverage capital flows towards innovative investments in sustainable food systems.
This is a key growth area for CCAFS, as we receive greater demand from public and private investors for our cutting-edge research, advisory services, global operational capacity and innovation focus. We focus on providing innovative science-based solutions that drive sustainable economic growth while delivering positive climate and development outcomes. Our main areas of work on sustainable finance focus on:
- Develop innovative investment solutions for sustainable food systems
- Provide advisory services to ensure that investments in food systems achieve sustainable development and positive climate impact
- Develop cutting-edge research on the intersection between sustainable finance and sustainable food systems
CCAFS is looking for a talented, creative and dynamic sustainable finance professional who is highly driven and has the skills and network required to tackle the most pressing challenges facing our food, land and water systems. The Sustainable Finance Analyst will play a crucial role in supporting the implementation and growth of CCAFS sustainable finance work. Specifically, she/he will focus on the key duties and responsibilities listed below.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide analytical support to CCAFS on sustainable finance-related issues
- Manage and implement complex research assignments for clients. This will include collaborating with CCAFS scientists and technical experts to outline and draft proposals, conduct complex analysis, and take responsibility for the deliverable of final high-quality work products
- Develop funding proposals, technical concept notes, investment pitches, and technical guidelines related to sustainable finance
- Support CCAFS to analyze complex information and develop investment cases for low-carbon and climate-resilient food, land and water systems
- Support the development of innovative frameworks and criteria to influence and measure ESG investments in sustainable food, land and water systems
- Contribute to developing cutting-edge research on sustainable finance and ESG related issues for food, land and water systems
- Support the development of strategic relationships with key public (donors, DFIs, climate funds, etc.) and private investors (asset owners, asset managers, corporates, etc.) to help design innovative investment solutions for sustainable food systems
- Support the development, negotiation and execution of new partnership deals with leading corporates, financial institutions and investors in the food systems space
- Support project teams to disaggregate problems and provide innovative solutions
- Keep abreast of latest innovations on sustainable finance and sustainable food systems
THE CANDIDATE SHALL HAVE THE FOLLOWING COMPETENCIES, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Advanced degree in Economics, Finance or Business Administration required
- Minimum 3 years working experience at international level in the area of sustainable finance, climate finance and/or impact investing.
- Direct experience working in the financial services industry or in a top tier consulting firm strongly preferred
- Solid knowledge of innovative financial instruments in sustainable land use
- Good understanding of food, land and water systems and climate-related challenges in developing countries, and how environmental and social issues relate to business risks and opportunities
- Intellectually curious and business-driven to deliver innovative and high impact results to clients
- Critical thinker able to analyse complex information and produce high-quality work products in an easy-to-understand manner
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative and decentralized environment, and operate under tight deadlines
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office, with advanced PowerPoint/presentation skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; a second language (French or Spanish) is strongly preferred
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This position is globally recruited. It will be hosted by the Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT and funded by CCAFS. Homebased work may be considered.
The consultancy contract will be for an initial one-year period, renewable depending on performance and milestones achieved. We offer a challenging position with remuneration commensurate with experience, high degree of independence and a very flexible and multicultural working environment. The candidate will report to Alberto Millan (Global Lead, Sustainable Finance).
HOW TO APPLY
Applications should be submitted before January 15, 2021 to Alberto Millan (email@example.com). All applications must include curriculum vitae, cover letter, salary expectations (USD annual salary expectation) and contact information of three professional referees who may be contacted. Please note that applications that do not include all the information described above will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.