Strategic Communications Specialist
WorldFish seeks to create an inclusive world of healthy, well-nourished people and a sustainable blue planet, now and in the future. We provide research and innovation in aquatic food systems to support sustainable development and food system transformation toward healthy and resilient diets. Our 2030 WorldFish Research and Innovation Strategy: Aquatic Foods for Healthy People and Planet outlines our commitment to guiding the transition to more resilient aquatic food systems in three priority impact areas: Social and Economic Inclusion, Nutrition and Public Health, and Climate Resilience and Environmental Sustainability.
About the Position
Reporting to the Global Communications Lead, the Strategic Communications Specialist is responsible for creating and implementing brand messaging and content strategy to build and consolidate WorldFish’s position and image as a trusted partner and thought leader and to maximize outreach and impact of its research and innovations. The position will lead, coordinate, and manage efforts to raise the profile and visibility of WorldFish and its research and innovation agenda on aquatic food systems in the international development sector and beyond. The role will be pivotal in supporting our fund-raising efforts, advocacy for our cause, attracting new partners across the public and private sectors, and mainstreaming aquatic foods in the food security, climate change adaptation, and marine conservation conversations.
The incumbent will:
- Develop and implement brand messaging and content strategy, guided by a framework of monitoring and evaluation to ensure focus, consistency, and an expanding target audience reach;
- Write, coordinate, and produce strategic content to help build and curate WorldFish’s presence, positioning, and narrative, and launch new projects;
- Lead and develop media relations of the organization and serve as the main media spokesperson for WorldFish; and
- Develop and execute new and innovative approaches, products, and campaigns (online, events, media, and multi-media) to improve audience engagement, increase visibility and outreach, and uptake of results.
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations, or a related discipline with at least 8 years’ communications/marketing experience;
- An Advanced Degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations, or a related discipline with 5 or more years of Communications/Marketing experience.
- Five to eight+ years’ experience in strategic communications, marketing, and/or media, with at least three years in an international environment, and preferably with a non-profit organization.
- Experience with working with people from diverse backgrounds, disciplines and cultures within a research institute, development agency, corporate or international organization, and interacting with public, private and philanthropic stakeholders.
- Outstanding writing skills demonstrated in communicating science and technology subject matter, with experience in writing for different formats, channels, and audiences.
- Excellent oral and interpersonal communications skills (native-level fluency in English).
- Experience with writing press releases, media pitches and liaising with international media and preferably having an established media relations and contacts (not necessarily so).
- Skillful and passionate to turn complex or scientific subject matter into simple, succinct and engaging copy to resonate with different audiences across traditional and digital platforms.
- Experience developing and delivering communications/content strategies and plans for varied stakeholder groups.
- Experience with messaging and brand implementation across various products and channels (print, online, social media, videos, events, newsletters, and campaigns).
- Self-initiated and creative in reaching and enthusing new and existing stakeholders.
- In-depth understanding and/or keen enthusiasm to learn about key developmental and environmental issues related to the global agricultural research agenda and the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals.
- Proven ability to work independently and remotely, effectively establishing priorities and juggling multiple and competing demands.
- Ability to effectively communicate a common vision to diverse internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills and ability to work collaboratively with people at all levels in a decentralized, respectful, multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary organization.
- Uphold the highest ethical standards by inspiring trust and treat all people with respect and personal integrity.
- Experience with CMS (Drupal), web analytics (Google Analytics), and social media management tools preferred.
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with annual salary ranging between USD 47,900 – USD 56,900 per annum. WorldFish’s IRS shall receive comprehensive health insurance, life insurance, accident, and long-term disability insurance. Internationally recruited staff employed outside of their home base/country of nationality will also be eligible to receive relocation assistance, a housing allowance, home-leave plane tickets for self and eligible dependents and education assistance for school-age dependents between age 4 and high school graduation. The duration of the contract will initially be for a three-year period with possibility for extension, depending on funding and performance. All benefits are subject to terms and conditions.
Click here for a detailed job description. Your application must include:
- A copy of your curriculum vitae,
- A cover letter which addresses key requirements stated above; and
- Contact information of three professional referees who may be contacted if you are short-listed for the position.
To be considered, applications must be submitted by no later than 24:00 (MYT) 11 May 2022.
Location: The post holder will be based in Penang, Malaysia. This position will involve international travel.