Senior Scientist / Scientist - Nutrition and Public Health
The Senior Scientist /Scientist – Nutrition and Public Health works across disciplines and sectors to advance and increase scientific knowledge and public awareness of the nutrition, safety and health benefits of aquatic foods through three priority actions:
- Inform consumer demand for healthy and nutritious aquatic foods;
- Ensure aquatic foods are safe and healthy for human consumption; and
- Prioritize nutrition and health for vulnerable and marginalized people.
With a commitment to seeing research creating impact for resilient aquatic food systems, the global research lead communicates the WorldFish vision with clarity, inspiring colleagues, donors, stakeholders to work with us towards our 2030 goals.
The successful candidate will:
- Lead/co-lead the Nutrition and Public Health impact area ensuring that the portfolio aligns with WorldFish’s strategic goals, is innovative and generates new knowledge on aquatic food systems and nutrition science, ensuring high visibility and credibility in relevant scientific, development and policy networks and platforms.
- Build, facilitate and inspire multi-disciplinary collaborative teams of researchers, and overseeing research quality and portfolio development; achieving deliverables and outcomes.
- Lead/co-lead high quality and high-profile scientific outputs, through own research and collaboration within WorldFish and with external scientific consortia. Ensure regular, high quality scientific, development and policy-relevant communications, based on effective knowledge management.
- Lead/co-lead development of a business plan for growth of the nutrition and public health impact area and manage collaboration on resource mobilization, developing and managing donor relationships, including with private investors and foundations, to ensure the impact area has the financial resources necessary to deliver on its goals.
- Work closely with project leaders and researchers to ensure that the impact area responds to the context and contemporary challenges in the regions and countries where WorldFish works.
- Build scientific consortia to strengthen WorldFish’s leadership in relevant scientific domains and partnerships needed for development impact. Lead and facilitate development of large-scale, multi-partner programmatic initiatives aligned to WorldFish’s Strategy and integrating research, actionable policy outcomes, knowledge services and support for implementation of aquatic foods nutrition and public health initiatives leading to impact at scale.
- Advocate and advance the Impact Area’s agenda in international fora to achieve impact on policy and practice. Act as WorldFish’s main focal point for the nutrition and public health impact area, both internally and externally, representing WorldFish globally and regionally, and serving as a spokesperson on related issues.
- Foster a respectful work environment that promotes knowledge sharing, interdisciplinary teamwork, and mutual learning, evaluation, and innovation. Lead professional development for researchers, ensuring equality and supporting strengthening of quality, deepening of knowledge and experience and career advancement.
The successful candidate will have:
- A PhD relevant to Food Systems (e.g., reducing loss & waste, nutritional ecology, feeding programs) or Nutrition Science (Health Economics, Food Safety, Public Health).
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience including leading research, managing and building teams, policy engagement, mobilizing funding, and communicating research to the public.
- A track record of high level and influential scientific publications.
- Research and collaboration experience in the global south.
- A track record of impact-focused and inclusive research influencing aquatic food systems policy, management or technology development.
- Published work that is influential in shaping the thinking and practice of your field, at national, regional or international level, as evidenced by publication in peer-reviewed journals, UN Agency reports or other recognized high-quality forums.
- Demonstrated ability to bridge disciplines and guide applied and policy-oriented multidisciplinary research.
- Ability to mentor and bring out the best in multidisciplinary multicultural teams in multiple time zones.
- Speaks truth with compassion.
- Communicates clearly and compellingly in writing and through public presentations (in English).
- Track record of successfully influencing high level policy makers, businesses, and other organizations in the aquatic food sector.
- Demonstrated ability to raise substantial funds.
- Ability to influence donors, stakeholders at the highest level.
- Ability to design, convene and mobilize partnerships to deliver impact for people and nature.
- Ability to effectively communicate a common vision to diverse internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills and ability to work collaboratively with people at all levels in a decentralized, respectful, multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary organization.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as an agent of change, in order to build a unified CGIAR culture and dynamic, integrated and agile organization.
- Uphold the highest ethical standards by inspiring trust and treat all people with respect and personal integrity.
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with annual salary ranging between USD 81,600 – USD 96,000 per annum (for Senior Scientist level) and USD 47,900 – USD 69,700 per annum (for Scientist level).
WorldFish’s IRS shall receive comprehensive health insurance, life insurance, accident, and long-term disability insurance. Internationally recruited staff employed outside of their home base/country of nationality will also be eligible to receive relocation assistance, a housing allowance, home-leave plane tickets for self and eligible dependents and education assistance for school-age dependents between age 4 and high school graduation. The duration of the contract will initially be for a three-year period with possibility for extension, depending on funding and performance. All benefits are subject to terms and conditions.
Your application must include:
- A copy of your curriculum vitae,
- A cover letter which addresses key requirements stated above; and
- Contact information of three professional referees who may be contacted if you are short-listed for the position.
To be considered, applications must be submitted by no later than 24:00 (MYT) 16 April 2023.
Location: It’s preferable that this position is based in Penang, Malaysia, however, other WorldFish locations will also be considered. This position will involve international travel.