ABOUT THE ORGANIZATIONS
WorldFish is a nonprofit research and innovation institution that creates advances and translates scientific research on aquatic food systems into scalable solutions with transformational impact on human well-being and the environment. We envision an inclusive world of healthy, well-nourished people and a sustainable blue planet, now and in the future.
Our research and innovation work spans climate change, food security and nutrition, sustainable fisheries and aquaculture, the blue economy and ocean governance, One Health, genetics and AgriTech, and it integrates evidence and perspectives on gender, youth and social inclusion. Our purpose is to accelerate the sustainable transformation of global food systems toward nutritious diets that sustain the health of people and the planet. Our research data, evidence and insights shape better practices, policies and investment decisions for sustainable development in low- and middle-income countries.
WorldFish is part of CGIAR, the world’s largest agricultural innovation network, whose mission is to “end hunger by 2030 through science to transform food, land and water systems under threat of climate change.”
ABOUT THE POSITION
Reporting directly to the Country Director, WorldFish Egypt, the Scientist position is critical to the design and delivery of research for development for Egypt, and as a contribution to broader programs led by WorldFish. The role will require strong research vision and delivery i.e., effective and efficient design, resourcing and delivery of research projects as agreed with the Country Director and Research Leaders.
The position will also require strong management skills in the oversight and supervision of the operations of WorldFish in Egypt – built on strong and effective partnerships at national and regional level and in a way that contributes to the advancement of WorldFish Mission and Vision and global strategy and participate in global leadership forums.
The successful candidate has key responsibilities as follows:
- Lead the development and implementation of Egypt office research program in line with WorldFish’ s Global Strategy and the national and regional priorities.
- Lead and contribute to peer-reviewed scientific journal publications, program reports and policy briefings.
- Mobilize resources and effective management of project resources aimed at achieving project output and outcomes.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of project and program technical reports in line with donor requirements and WorldFish standards.
- Maintain strong inter-disciplinary research collaboration with other WorldFish scientists to support implementation of WorldFish research priority projects in Egypt.
- Contribute to training programs as required under Egypt training program.
- Provide leadership and advice to ensure project and research monitoring and evaluation according to standards and systems used by WorldFish and partners, e.g., MEL, Dashboard etc.
- Contribute towards annual and multi-year planning according to country priorities and WorldFish strategy and program goals.
- Work closely with partner organizations and other stakeholders to advance the mission and vision of WorldFish and facilitate program and project delivery.
This job might be for you if you have the below skills and qualifications:
- PhD in Aquaculture Management and Planning, Production System, Fish Nutrition or any other relevant field.
- A minimum of 2 years post-doctoral relevant work experience would be expected.
- Multi-disciplinary research experience in relevant field(s) (i.e., production systems, nutrition/genetics, water quality, value chains, gender).
- Strong research design, implementation and reporting skills supported with a good peer-reviewed publications track record.
- Strong verbal and writing communication/Fluent in English and Arabic.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills to lease with different stakeholders, proficient in Microsoft Office and Outlook.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Previous experience working for international development and/or research organizations, NGOs or UN agencies is highly desirable.
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position with annual salary about EGP336,000over 13 months. WorldFish offers a competitive remuneration package including (but not limited to) medical insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, 15% employer provident fund contribution, life insurance, paid leave and others.
The position will be based in Abbassa, Egypt. Interviews are expected to begin in May 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified and expected to attend the virtual interview session. The successful candidate should be available to commence for an initial of one year fixed-term contract, with the possibility of contract renewal depending on performance and funding situation.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online latest by 28 February 2023:
- A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate for this role referring to the key responsibilities and what you would bring to the role;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- Names and contacts (telephone and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report. None of referees will be contacted without your permission and only if the role is offered.
Screening will start immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage qualified women and men from developing nations to apply.