Post-Doctoral Fellow or Associate Economist
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
The Borlaug Institute for South Asia (BISA) is a nonprofit international research institute dedicated to food, nutrition, livelihood security, and environmental rehabilitation in South Asia, which is home to more than 300 million undernourished people. BISA is a collaborative effort involving CIMMYT and the Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR). Please refer to these websites for more information: www.bisa.org and www.cimmyt.org.
BISA-CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic and results-oriented researcher for the position of PDF or Associate Economist to join the Climate Action team of BISA-CIMMYT in New Delhi. The position will lead climate risk analysis in agriculture from a socio-economic (including gender) perspective and support the development of the Climate Adaptation Atlas for South Asia.
The position will be based in New Delhi, India.
- Deploy analytical models for evaluating gendered impacts of climate and adaptation options to mitigate the effects using a variety of analytical approaches.
- Provide insights on climate hazard, exposure, and risk characterization from gender lenses and identify and understand barriers to women’s adoption of climate-smart/resilient technologies in South Asia.
- Engage with BISA-CIMMYT staff and partners to understand socio-cultural and gender aspects of climate adaptation, including the related collection and analysis of sex-disaggregated data from secondary sources.
- Publish research findings in international peer-reviewed journals and contribute to the dissemination of results to stakeholders via workshops and webinars.
- Contribute to the mobilization of resources to strengthen gender and social inclusion in climate adaptation.
Required qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- Ph.D. degree in a relevant discipline (e.g., economics, development economics, rural development, agribusiness, agricultural economics, social science, and related fields) with more than one year of experience.
- Strong interest in applied research in the context of climate adaptation projects, including extensive engagement within multidisciplinary project teams.
- Experience in climate adaptation research in developing countries, including the use of mixed research methods (quantitative and qualitative). Expertise in spatial econometric approaches is desirable.
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment as a member of a diverse work team.
- Desirable: Experience in agriculture risk management analysis and adaptation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- The selected candidate should exhibit the following competencies: Client Orientation, Negotiation, and Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Decision Making, Teamwork, and Communication.
The position is for an initial fixed term of three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health, and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual home travel airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online for IRS22178_PDF or Associate Economist.
Screening and follow-up of applications will begin on Monday, January 23rd, 2023. Applications must include a CV, with contact details (telephone and email address) of 3 work-related references along with the confirmation that we can contact them) and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.