Field Worker-Field operation
ICRISAT seeks applications from Field Workers for Field Operations to work with IRRI-SA team for different lab activities. This position requires assistance in conducting field and glasshouse related experiments for crossing/backcrossing of lines for yield and related traits. Involves in preparation of seed, nursery preparation, transplanting, field maintenance, harvesting, and seed processing of molecular breeding samples. Assist in preparation of seed samples, grinding of samples for grain and cooking quality. Generation advancement of lines, both season to IRRI-SA Hub, Hyderabad. The position will be based at IRRI-SA Hub, ICRISAT Campus, Patancheru. The position is within the Rice Breeding Platform-South Asia Region. It will report to the Regional Breeding Lead – South Asia.
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science, improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers, and protecting rice-growing environments for future generations. For more information, visit www.irri.org
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more information, visit www.icrisat.org
- Assist in the basic preparation and maintenance of field/screen house/greenhouse operations (e.g. lay-out, seeding, transplanting, irrigation, harvesting, drying, threshing, bagging)
- Perform basic monitoring of plant responses
- Assist in sample collection and processing
- Assist in the maintenance of the field/ crossing chamber/ greenhouse to ensure order and cleanliness as required by the protocols of the Institute including storage and preparation of samples, fertilizers and other chemicals
- Maintain supply inventory and ensure the availability of research materials for field
- Assist in organizing field visit and filed demonstration
- Assist in supervising daily-wage-labors for day-to-day activities
Qualifications and Experience:
- Graduation with 1 year of relevant work experience
- Rice crop management including Layout, seed sowing, planting, irrigation and fertilizer application
- Experience in Hybridization techniques (Emasculation, pollen collection and dusting)
- Should have experience in pre and post data collection
- Good experience in rice production and sampling and seed management
- Basic knowledge of MS Office programs
This is a Consolidated Position for 32 months and renewable depending on the functioning of the incumbent, funding availability, and also the Institute’s ongoing requirement for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 19 May 2020 with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three referees who are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
“ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer”