Location: Remote Base
Application Deadline: 15 April 2022
Type of contract: Consultancy Contract
Language(s) required: English (Native/fluent writing and oral skills)
WorldFish is looking for a contractor or independent consultant to write and generate interesting material for WorldFish’s websites, blogs, infographics, newsletters, video products, and science publications. Contractors or consultant responding to this advertisement should have exceptional writing, editing, and research skills, as well as experience with marketing and public relations communications for research and development organizations and other non-profit institutions whose work supports the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals.
About the Consultancy Work
WorldFish is looking for an experienced science communications writer and editor to help share world-class research with the wider scientific community, the general public, donors, and policymakers in fresh and innovative ways. The Editorial contract/consultant will provide independent assistance and expertise in translating scientific information into clear, easy-to-digest, original content, including but not limited to news stories, opinion pieces, interviews, and other multimedia materials for the website and social media channels of WorldFish. The editorial contractor/consultant will also assist in the creation of creative and targeted media pitches to enhance WorldFish’s research findings’ external exposure. This position provides a fantastic opportunity to build science communication skills and knowledge in the digital space while working in a professional setting with a highly skilled team, providing valuable on the job work experience with a well-respected international research organization. Applicants for this opening may come from a broad range of disciplines, although ideal candidates will have to demonstrate a talent for journalism, science, communications, and academic interest in key research topics relevant to WorldFish research programs.
Special emphasis must be placed on illustrating WorldFish’s added value and specific contribution to the global call to action for a sustainable food systems transformation and to One CGIAR, including the organization’s work with partners on various aspects and dimensions of aquatic food systems. The contractor will work closely with the WorldFish Communications and Marketing team to gather relevant information for the writing and production of the WorldFish content.
Scope and Responsibilities
The consultant will undertake and ensure the following:
- Research, conduct interviews, write and/ or edit easy-to-read content including news, feature and explainer articles for the WorldFish blog, press releases, media pitches, campaigns, e-newsletters, multimedia and other outreach materials based on WorldFish research in line with the organizational strategy.
- Support preparation of think pieces, op-ed articles, public statements, media kits and press releases, fact sheets, talking points, messaging, speeches and presentations, and multimedia content for a variety of web and social media channels in coordination with scientists and staff.
- Create personalized content and communications to strategically promote and engage a variety of target audiences with WorldFish’s research on key issues, strategy themes, research accomplishments and impact across Africa, Asia and the Pacific.
- Meet with subject-matter leader experts to ensure specialized topics are appropriately addressed.
- Conduct simple keyword research and use SEO guidelines to increase web traffic.
- Maintain consistency in writing format and style guide based on The Chicago Manual of Style, AP Stylebook and the Council of Science Editors (CSE) guide.
- Review and/or copyedit content developed by other members of the team.
- Fulfill additional writing assignments, including call for proposals, videos and podcast scripts, PowerPoint presentation, corporate messaging as and when needed.
Experience and Knowledge Required
- At least 5 years of writing/editing experience, in planning, implementing and evaluating complex outreach and strategic communications activities for a regional or global organization, operating in the research, policy or development sector.
- Demonstrable experience with conducting in-depth policy and issue research in a variety of areas relating to the global sustainable development agenda.
- Strong ability to digest, critically analyze and present complex information clearly and concisely in a wide variety of formats to non-scientific audiences.
- A strong creative writer with a flair for narrative and storytelling and proven ability to digest, critically analyze and present complex information clearly, concisely and compellingly in a wide variety of formats to non-scientific audiences.
- Native or near-native-level English with excellent presentation, facilitation and oral and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated, good organizational skills, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines.
How to Apply
The consultants are required to prepare proposals, which must cover the following elements:
I. Technical Elements of the proposals should address the consultant’s:
- A current curriculum vitae.
- Portfolio of writing samples including course papers, blogs or articles published online.
- A cover letter describing your interest in becoming an editorial contractor/consultant.
- The staffing plan and proposed approach to accomplishing the specified work scope within the contemplated timeframe together with brief summaries of the duration of work and total-staff-time-on-project for the projects cited as evidence of the offeror’s skill and experience.
- Proposed deadlines for delivery of all intermediate and final project deliverables.
II. Fees and Payment Terms
- WorldFish contemplates entering into an agreement with the chosen consultant providing a fixed competitive fee covering all services and related expenses related to the writing and editorial services
- Fee proposals must also state the offeror’s assumed or expected level of effort in terms of time (in hours) on the project for each of the principal personnel that an offeror proposes to assign to this project.
- WorldFish may consider the option to renewing the agreement for future assignments based on experience and performance of offered, and competitiveness of their fee proposals (for specific tasks and/or all-inclusive).
Interested parties must submit their proposal and supporting materials no later than 15 April 2022.
WorldFish may request offerors for a virtual meet up to present their proposal to the Selection Team. The final decision will be communicated to the winning offerors by email. WorldFish reserves the right not to communicate further with those who do not make it past the shortlisting process.
All questions related to this advertisement must be addressed by email to Florine Lim at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject Consultant (Editorial).
Our Gender, Diversity and Inclusion Commitment
WorldFish has seven offices across Asia, Africa and the Pacific, with more than 400 staff and 27 nationalities who contribute to a dynamic multicultural work environment.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity and inclusion is valued and we seek to have gender balance in the organization. We aim to also seek balance across other diversity dimensions.
People in WorldFish are treated equally irrespective of gender, ethnicity/race, national or social origin, disability, religion, political affiliation, age, family size, marital status or any other form of personal identity.
We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage qualified women and men from developing nations to apply.