The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not -for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated candidate for the position of Communications Officer to be based in our Southern Africa Office in Harare, Zimbabwe. This is a nationally recruited position and is open to all Zimbabweans with excellent academic records. This position will support on-going research activities in Zimbabwe and collaborating projects in the Southern Africa region as needed. The incumbent will work under the supervision of scientists in the Zimbabwe Office with support from Communications staff in Kenya and Ethiopia and the HQ Communications team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with project partners to develop, produce, and use relevant extension and training materials (flyers, posters, infographics, videos, etc.) for target communities (farmers, and agricultural extension personnel) and project events (demonstrations, field days).
- Develop project brochures and technical bulletins.
- Document and communicate project news, updates, and stories for wider dissemination in Zimbabwe, and globally.
- Manage vendors and consultants in projects including print, photography, and video production.
- Document high-interest stories for dissemination in suitable formats (interviews, photographs, and video) to various target audiences.
- As required, travel to document CIMMYT’s work on the ground, including field visits and taking still and video photography.
- Assist scientists in preparing scientific posters, presentations, and other materials.
- Publish and disseminate project results in various forms – print, digital, video or audio.
- Support networking and engagement activities with other actors in Zimbabwe – as a specific contribution to the project’s wider alignment and scaling objectives.
- Support innovative use of information, communication and knowledge-based interventions and approaches across projects, making use of, for example, participatory communication approaches, emerging ICTs, and working with partners in these areas.
- Oversee the activities related to the production of high-quality communications materials, including digital content, annual reports and reviews, newsletters, etc.
- Liaise with CIMMYT HQ communications team to share project updates and stories.
- Perform other duties as directed by supervisors.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- Master’s degree in communication, Knowledge Management, Journalism or related; or bachelor’s degree in these fields with compensatory years of experience
- At least 5 years relevant experience, with experience in a development, research, corporate or international environment
- Fluency in English, Shona and/or Ndebele; working knowledge of other local languages is desirable.
- Demonstrated project management skills, excellent interpersonal and networking skills.
- Basic knowledge of and skills in desktop publishing, HTML, photography, and photo editing.
- Experience in supporting communications and/or media relations in agricultural research for development is an added advantage.
- Experience in agriculture and developmental field in the country and/or region highly desirable
- Experience in relationship building with diverse stakeholders.
- Experience managing multiple projects with teams and/or external vendors on tight deadlines.
- Ability to present and package scientific information into various formats to suit specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- The selected candidate must be able to demonstrate the following competencies: Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, Critical and Creative Thinking, Teamwork, Client Orientation, and Communication.
Please apply here to Z23151_Communications Officer. No later than Tuesday 2nd May 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality. Women candidates are encouraged to apply.