Climate Risk Management Specialist
The Borlaug Institute for South Asia (BISA) is a non-profit international research institute dedicated to food, nutrition and livelihood security as well as environmental rehabilitation in South Asia, which is home to more than 300 million undernourished people. BISA is a collaborative effort involving CIMMYT and the Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR). Please refer to these website for more information: www.bisa.org and www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking dynamic, innovative and self-motivated professional with a specialization in Climate Risk Management. We are expecting the specialist to lead the work on climate risk management including climate-smart agriculture, agricultural insurance and resilience, for making informed decisions and adaptation planning from farm scale to the policy level.
- To provide climate risk management support to the CCAFS team including leading research on agricultural insurance and climate-smart agriculture.
- Use advanced econometrics for agricultural risk management strategies using yield and climate modelling.
- Experience in the use of large datasets, and maintain spatial databases of economic, risk indicators, climate and crop management data.
- Provide support for ongoing CSA projects of CCAFS-BISA.
- Assist, as required, in the spatial modeling activities and be responsible for preparation and handling large datasets, spatial analyses and geographic information system (GIS) mapping, as and when requested.
- Understand the core scientific questions and develop methodology to best address these questions.
- Document results for reports, blogs and journal publications.
- Any other work assigned by Supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- M.Sc or higher in Economics/Business studies Management/Meteorology or similar, with specialization in agriculture.
- Demonstrated experience in advanced econometrics, climate and crop modelling, risk management etc.
- At least 10 years of post-graduate experience in the duty areas listed above is essential.
- Demonstrable experience in research evidenced by at least 3-4 publications in peer-reviewed international journals in the field of climate change and agriculture.
- Must have proficiency in Stata, Arc-GIS, Crop models and Data visualization software.
- Ability to handle and process large datasets.
- Project management experience is desirable.
- The selected candidate must exhibit following competencies: Problem Solving and Decision-Making, Teamwork and Communication.
The position is for an initial fixed-term contract of 1 year, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. BISA offers an attractive remuneration package, with a range of benefits including health insurance.
Email cover letter and CV as a single document with last drawn salary, salary expectations and notice period no later than Wednesday, 28 April, 2021 to Human Resources, CIMMYT / BISA
(Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / Please insert Position Reference number: IN21114 in the subject of your email).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT-BISA is an equal-opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.