Agricultural and Resource Economist
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is looking for an outstanding, self-motivated, and result-oriented professional for the position of Agricultural and Resource Economist, to work in the Sustainable Agrifood Systems (SAS) program.
The location of this position will be Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Refining and promoting the empirical methodology for adoption and ex post impact studies across the Global South.
- Carrying out systematic literature reviews and discussions with experts to strengthen the evidence base concerning the potential impacts of cropping system intensification on the local environment, ecosystem, and society.
- Organizing and managing primary data collection, involving farm surveys, focus group discussions, and stakeholder analysis in CIMMYT target geographies to understand the nature of cropping system intensification, related effects of climate change, uptake pathways of agricultural technologies, on-farm conservation of genetic resources, and farmer livelihoods.
- Assess the multidimensional impacts of innovations in target cropping systems, particularly improved varieties, sustainable intensification practices, and information provision.
- Translate findings to R&D priorities and implications, including the development of strategies, options, and recommendations to set research priorities, guide policy discussions, facilitate adaptations, and stimulate scaling up and out.
- Contributing to the overall coordination of the Adoption and Impact Research Team of SAS Program, including implementation of the research strategies, contributing to new project proposals, yearly work planning, reporting, and communication.
- Contribute to building up the associated funding base.
- Publish findings in international peer-reviewed journals.
Required qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- Ph.D. in Applied Economics (Agriculture Economics, Development Economics, Environmental Economics, Natural Resource Economics or related fields) with 5 years of post-qualification relevant work experience.
- Good understanding of the linkages between agricultural and economic development and its relationships to science, technology and innovation, institutions, markets, and policies.
Demonstrated proficiency with rigorous impact evaluation methods using both experimental and quasi-experimental methods.
- Strong knowledge and command of research design processes from pre-field research questions, planning, field logistics and supervision, data analysis and report writing.
- Demonstrated ability to write reports, scientific publications, and promotional materials.
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional, and multicultural environment.
- Excellent skills in digital data collection and management and a keen sense of data quality assurance.
- Competence in the application of statistical and econometric approaches to development research questions and high-level familiarity with statistical applications such as R and STATA.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to interface with rural communities such as village leaders, extension staff and others and work effectively with various institutions.
- The selected candidate should exhibit the following competencies: Client Orientation, Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, Critical Thinking, Teamwork, and Communication.
The position is for an initial fixed-term of three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual home travel airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online for IRS23122_Agricultural and Resource Economist.
For internal applications, please follow this link.
For easy reference on how to apply please review the internal application guide.
Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Monday, May 1st, 2023. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.