Senior Scientist/Scientist - Climate and Environmental Sustainability
The Senior Scientist / Scientist for Climate Resilience and Environmental Sustainability will work to identify and shape the priority research and innovation areas related to Climate and Environmental Sustainability. The post holder will ensure that key policy processes and issues arising within the impact area of Climate and Environmental Sustainability are evaluated to ensure their full alignment with WorldFish’s 2020-2030 strategy and its new strategic research framework on “Aquatic Foods”.
In this role, candidate will involve working with the Directors of Sustainable Aquatic Food Systems and Aquatic Food Biosciences of WorldFish and One-CGIAR science community, partners and key stakeholders to conduct interdisciplinary research work on Climate and Environmental Sustainability in Aquatic Food Systems. The post-holder will serve to develop this area of research, ensuring high quality research insights, that the learning and evidence are shared and communicated to enable greater and more visible research impact related to Climate and Environmental Sustainability in key development issues, and contributes to the effective positioning of WorldFish as an influential thought-leader in Aquatic Food Systems on the global stage and in its key target regions.
The Scientist / Senior Scientist for Climate and Environmental Sustainability in Aquatic Food Systems is responsible for two key business areas:
- Coordinating the development and implementation of Climate and Environmental Sustainability research and innovation projects and programs in Aquatic Food Systems science.
- Enhancing global collaboration and partnerships in Climate and Environmental Sustainability research and innovation in Aquatic Food Systems research.
The successful candidate will:
- Lead/co-lead the development and implementation of WorldFish Climate and Environmental Sustainability research projects, programs and associated global, regional and national implementation strategies.
- Ensure delivery of high quality and innovative science in Climate and Environmental Sustainability that contributes to the achievement of WorldFish’s 2020-2030 strategy and achievement of the development outcomes towards the five global challenges targeted for collective impact by One CGIAR.
- Successfully develop and deliver high-quality research initiatives, programs, projects and other science outputs in Environmental Sustainability that enable WorldFish to shape a distinct and persuasive voice and evidence-based narrative on “Aquatic Food Systems” to positively influence high-level policy and research investment decisions with donors, partners and private sector stakeholders.
- Provide leadership and support to WorldFish, One-CGIAR and partner scientific staff engaged in interdisciplinary and/or policy-related research in Climate and Environmental Sustainability.
- Significantly enhance the organization’s innovation, learning, knowledge sharing culture and scientific values related to Climate and Environmental Sustainability in order to generate and mobilize unique knowledge that contributes to WorldFish positioning in the research-policy nexus.
- Strengthen research institutional capacity in Climate and Environmental Sustainability through effective collaborative research approaches and high-quality science publications that are interdisciplinary and innovative.
- Raise external funds for research in the field of Climate and Environmental Sustainability in aquatic foods, within a food systems framework through donor/partnership development and proposal preparation activities.
- Convene scientists to agree on the Climate and Environmental Sustainability priority science outputs, and key research outcomes or impacts that will be measured through monitoring, evaluation and learning activities, and oversee efforts to ensure timely delivery.
- Identify and develop a set of global bilateral projects to support Climate and Environmental Sustainability in aquatic foods systems program objectives, in addition to ensuring quality science inputs to regional/country bilateral project development. Through both these avenues, meet agreed annual targets for secured funding.
Research and Science Leadership and Communication
- In coordination with other and team leaders, ensure that WorldFish is represented in high – level policy forums related to the global challenges targeted for collective impact by One CGIAR, namely: 1) Climate Adaptation and Greenhouse Gas Reduction; and 2) Environmental Health and Biodiversity.
- Lead/co-lead the organization’s understanding and awareness of climate and Environmental Sustainability and links between land and water ecosystems.
- Lead/co-lead and engage actively in ongoing and emerging CGIAR initiatives related to climate and Environmental Sustainability, including Asian mega deltas, MITIGATE+, and so on.
- Be responsible for the analysis and publication of Climate and Environmental Sustainability research findings, the identification and development of policy influencing strategies, organization and facilitation of international meetings, and writing and speaking for professional and general audiences.
- Provide mentoring of WorldFish and partner researchers, including enabling a new generation of Climate and Environmental Sustainability researchers for WorldFish and partners, aligned to present and future research and development needs and challenges.
- Assess science staffing needs and competencies in Climate and Environmental Sustainability in conjunction with HR country leaders, support recruitment to meet these needs, and directly manage performance of senior scientists to set and maintain high standards, while mentoring more junior members.
Program Development and Management
- Take overall responsibility and accountability for the design, development and execution of Climate and Environmental Sustainability research and innovation projects and programs throughout the organization, to enable quality outcomes and impact through integration of research and science with other One-CGIAR initiatives and bi-lateral projects.
- Work closely with all core staff functions in the development and delivery of quality research on Climate and Environmental Sustainability; lead by example in promoting the core values of the Center. Lead and shape resource mobilization and a strong funding pipeline to ensure a diverse portfolio of funding vehicles with a view to risk minimization and sustainable resources required to achieve the Climate and Environmental Sustainability objectives of the WorldFish research strategy.
- Contribute to budget and financial management of Climate and Environmental Sustainability research funds including leading annual research planning including MEL, communications and reporting for programs and projects and ensuring integration of Climate and Environmental Sustainability research, development investments and partnership across the WorldFish research portfolio.
- Ensure collaboration between projects and programs in Social and Economic Inclusion and Nutrition and Public Health with ME&L activities to ensure all activities are reporting and leverage additional impact.
Partnerships and Funding Pipeline Development
- Build strong relationships with research and development partners (public and private) related to Climate and Environmental Sustainability and work with the Business Development team to identify opportunities for collaborative research and innovation.
- The position will coordinate relationships with existing global and national partners, within and outside the CGIAR in Climate and Environmental Sustainability, Aquatic Foods and seek to establish new partnerships with global and national bodies, such as governments, civil society, research institutions, investors and the private sector.
- Be responsible or contribute towards identifying funding opportunities in Climate and Environmental Sustainability for WorldFish and developing and submitting funding bids and that of colleagues within their team, as well as providing strategic inputs to fundraising for WorldFish.
In coordination with the directors of science groups, identify and develop opportunities for strategic partnerships, programmatic funding and assist with donor relations, related to Climate and Environmental Sustainability particularly with philanthropic organizations, international NGOs, research councils and academic sector partners.
The successful candidate will have:
- A completed PhD in Climate Science, Socio-Economics or Agro-Ecological Systems, or related fields.
- At least 5 years research management experience, with demonstrated leadership capability and good mentoring skills.
- Proven ability to identify, develop and manage multi-partner and multi-disciplinary research projects.
- Ability to provide technical guidance and leadership to teams in scientific matters in the specific discipline.
- Ability to identify and develop relevant research projects and provide scientific leadership for stakeholders and potential investors.
- Demonstrated fund raising capacity, with a track record of leadership on successful multi-country proposals.
- Proven ability to provide technical guidance and leadership to teams in scientific matters in the specific research domain.
- Strong publication track record and international profile in a relevant research area.
- Well-developed communication skills, including excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Experience working in a complex, multi-level consortium or alliance.
- Experience in partnering with development NGO’s.
- Demonstrated delivery of science outputs and realized impacts at scale.
- Leadership of a resource mobilization unit, leadership of communications and marketing.
- Experience in both public and private sectors.
- Success in working collaboratively with a Board in development and articulation of vision and on translation into tangible results.
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with annual salary ranging between USD 47,900 – USD 69,700 per annum (for Scientist level) and USD 81,600 – USD 96,000 per annum (for Senior Scientist level). WorldFish’s IRS shall receive comprehensive health insurance, life insurance, accident, and long-term disability insurance. Internationally recruited staff employed outside of their home base/country of nationality will also be eligible to receive relocation assistance, a housing allowance, home-leave plane tickets for self and eligible dependents and education assistance for school-age dependents between age 4 and high school graduation. The duration of the contract will initially be for a three-year period with possibility for extension, depending on funding and performance. All benefits are subject to terms and conditions.
Your application must include:
- A copy of your curriculum vitae,
- A cover letter which addresses key requirements stated above; and
- Contact information of three professional referees who may be contacted if you are short-listed for the position.
To be considered, applications must be submitted by no later than 24:00 (MYT) 09 April 2023.
Location: The post holder will be based in Penang, Malaysia. This position will involve international travel.