Senior Research Assistant / Research Assistant
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks three Senior Research Assistants (SRA) or a Research Assistants (RA) for a one-year, renewable appointment in its Sudan Office. The successful candidates will work with senior research staff in the analysis of agriculture, rural development, food and nutrition security and related policies and other research support activities related to IFPRI’s work in Sudan. Applicants for this position may also be considered for other comparable positions at IFPRI Sudan.
The position is based at IFPRI’s Sudan office located in Khartoum. The incumbent will work under the overall guidance of the IFPRI Sudan Program Leader, but will be employed directly by IFPRI’s organizational host in Sudan, the International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Area (ICARDA). The employer of record will be ICARDA and employment policies, compensation and benefits of ICARDA will apply to this position. The final position title will be determined based on the candidate’s level of experience. Interested applicants must have work authorization to work in Sudan.
Specific Duties include but are not limited to:
- Support the collection of primary and secondary data
- Build large dataset from multiple sources
- Analyze data using advance analytical methods
- Conduct literature reviews and synthesis
- Assist in drafting reports and research papers
- Assist in capacity building
- Coordinate projects and support outreach activities
- Other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications and experience:
- Master’s degree (Senior Research Assistant) or its equivalent in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Statistics or closely related fields
- A minimum of 3 years’ work experience in academia, the private sector, a development-oriented organization or comparable institution in the area of impact evaluation.
- Excellent knowledge of macroeconomic and/or microeconomic theory
- Excellent knowledge of and quantitative econometric methods and/or economic modeling
- Excellent knowledge of STATA and/or GAMS
- Excellent analytical mind and drafting skills
- Demonstrated fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic
- Excellent interpersonal skills and to work in a team-oriented multi-cultural environment
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task as needed, consistently meet deadlines and manage time well
- Demonstrated professional level of attention to detail and accuracy of work
- Ability to work independently and with initiative
- Willingness to travel
- Familiarity with the literature on economic development, agriculture, nutrition, poverty reduction and related fields.
- Previous experience related to agricultural project and policy analysis, impact evaluations of social protection programs and evaluations of policies nutrition programs and policies.
- Experience with spatial analysis and ARC-GIS.
- Experience with policy communication activities.