Post-Doctoral Fellow in Agricultural Economics (ICARDA)
Icarda HR Team
Reports to: Senior Scientist – Agricultural Economist and Senior Natural Resources Economist
Location: Tunis, Tunisia
Main purpose of position
The Post-Doctoral Fellow will be responsible for providing support to the ongoing socioeconomic activities conducted by senior ICARDA scientists. He/she will be involved in research activities in multidisciplinary bilateral projects and One CGIAR initiatives in CWANA and Sub-Saharan Africa and will collaborate with a wide range of biophysical scientists specialized in dryland agriculture.
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is a treaty-based international non-profit research organization supported by CGIAR.
ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water, and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. We do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas.
ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR Research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. For more information: www.icarda.org
All CGIAR Centers are currently engaged into a reform process (“One CGIAR’”) that will help ICARDA and CGIAR achieve better impact through more strategically integrated research, unified governance, an integrated structure and new research modalities across participating Research Centers. This transformation is supported by CGIAR donors who have committed to increased funding as a result of these reforms.
The incumbent will:
• Contribute to conceptualization, data analysis, implementation and fieldwork related to development and household economics and rural investment,
• Perform economic analysis and generate evidence on uptake of agricultural innovations,
• Conduct literature and data searches for ongoing research projects,
• Lead the collection, cleaning and analysis of primary and secondary complex datasets using appropriate statistical software or other relevant software,
• Contribute to technical reports, briefs and peer-reviewed journal articles under assigned research activities,
• Contribute to capacity building activities and prepare training materials and other documentation, as required,
• Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisors.
Education, qualifications, and experience
• A PhD in agricultural science, specialization in Agricultural Economics,
• Track publication record in agricultural economics; research preferably in a multi-disciplinary setting,
• Strong theoretical and analytical skills in development and household economics and rural investment,
• Advanced knowledge and mastery of qualitative and quantitative methods
• Strong skills in econometric modelling of adoption and impacts assessment,
• Experience in conducting surveys, focus groups discussion (FGD’s), managing, analyzing, and interpreting data,
• Knowledge in preparation of scientific technical reports and policy briefs,
• Proficiency in statistical software including SPSS, STATA, R, EViews, GAMS, SAS etc.;
knowledge of optimization methods and tools will be a plus,
• Familiarity with the Computable General Equilibrium Modeling (CGEM) will be an asset,
• Fluency in written and spoken English.
Terms of appointment, salary, and benefits
This is an internationally recruited position for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package including a competitive salary, medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave, five months’ maternity leave, 15 days’ paternity leave.
The successful candidate will be offered an initial contract of 2 years, of which the first 6 months will be a probationary period. Subsequent employment is determined based on the performance, the availability of funds and continued need for the position.
How to apply
Applicants are required to submit their applications online at this link by 22 April 2022 latest.
ICARDA is committed to increasing women representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.