Irrigated lowland rice breeder
Irrigated lowland rice breeder
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified Irrigated lowland rice breeder who will be based at AfricaRice, Saint Louis station – Senegal. S/He will work under the supervision of the Genetic Diversity and Improvement Program Leader.
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is a leading pan-African rice research organization committed
to improving livelihoods in Africa through strong science and effective partnerships. AfricaRice is a CGIAR Research Center. It is also an intergovernmental association of 28 African member
countries, with headquarters in Côte d’Ivoire.
The Irrigated lowland rice breeder leads the irrigated rice breeding unit to contribute to results of the Genetic Diversity and improvement program of AfricaRice with regards to the 2030 Rice Research and Innovation strategy for Africa.
Under the supervision of the Genetic Diversity and Improvement Program Leader, the Irrigated
lowland rice breeder will undertake activities with specific tasks that include, but are not limited
• Developing high yielding varieties for the irrigated lowland ecosystem with positive agronomic traits and desirable grain quality characteristics using both conventional and molecular breeding approaches.
• Coordinating abiotic tolerance research within the purview of irrigated lowland breeding activities.
• Leading two irrigated rice breeding pipelines (irrigated tropical and subtropical) and their testing networks across Africa.
• Evaluating breeding lines developed by other breeding programs or other research institutes at the St Louis research station.
• Coordinating modernization of irrigated rice breeding activities using digital data capture,
mechanized operations and optimized breeding schemes leading to increased geneticgains in farmers’ fields.
• Maintaining and proactively developing networks & partnerships with various research teams, including public and private entities.
• Facilitating a network of players (public, civil society, and small and medium seed enterprises) that ensures sustainable access to seeds and other research products by resource-poor farmers
• Building and maintaining partnership with internal, local and international collaborators and stakeholders towards resource mobilization for innovative research
• Contributing to trait discovery pipelines for identification of high value allele(s) to be utilized in the global irrigated breeding programs/pipelines
• Identifying and managing risks associated with irrigated lowland rice breeding with the aim of avoiding them or mitigating their impacts
• Providing degree and nondegree training to students and NARS partners.
• Carry out any other duties as requested by GDI Program Leader.
Education: PhD in Plant breeding or related field
Work experience and key competencies required:
• At least 5 years’ post-PhD experience in breeding
• At least 3 years’ experience in research management
• Strong technical background in modern rice improvement techniques
• Excellent analytical skills and knowledge of plant breeding and genetics
• Proven ability to manage large breeding network and multi-disciplinary teams
• Good project management, communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
• Strong scientific writing skills
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
• Appreciable managerial and leadership skills
• Appreciable knowledge of national agricultural research systems in Africa
• The candidate should be able to communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English or
French and have a good working knowledge of the other language.
Terms and Conditions
• This is an internationally recruited position.
• AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender sensitive work environment.
• The initial appointment runs for three years with the possibility for renewal based on
performance and availability of funding.
How to apply
1. To apply, click on the following link:
2. Create an account if you are a new user, if not log on with your credentials to access
3. Select “Irrigated lowland rice breeder”
4. Follow the step-by-step application procedure.
Only online applications will be considered (If you encounter any technical issue on the
career site during your application, or you are prevented to proceed with your
application until its final completion: Please kindly revert to us along with the
screenshot of the issue through this email: africariceHR@cgiar.org ). Applications are
not allowed through this email.
Not later than April 15th,2023
AfricaRice promotes equal opportunities and believes that the diversity of its staff contributes to
excellence. We thank all candidates, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For more
information on AfricaRice, please visit our website at: www.AfricaRice.org