The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), an international non-profit, research organization with over 500+ employees worldwide and an annual budget of USD 100+ million, seeks a Controller for its Finance and Administration Division. The Controller will be responsible for directing the financial and accounting activities of the Institute; and establishing fiscal policies and procedures. The Controller, through Board appointment, serves as Treasurer to the Board of Trustees.
This is a two-year, full-time, exempt, renewable appointment based in IFPRI’s headquarters in Washington, DC and involves international travel, particularly to developing countries.
Specific tasks include but are not limited to:
- Financial Management: Develops and implements finance‑related procedures and systems; monitors overall financial status of the Institute informs senior management of financial issues and operational risks; takes a proactive role in the development of the financial management information system and overall risk management.
- Budgets and Contracts Activities: Re sponsible for development and revision of the Institute’s annual budget; monitors actual revenues and expenses against the approved budget; interacts with CGIAR on financial aspects of CGIAR-wide programs; ensures donor reporting and requirements are satisfied.
- Accounting Activities:Oversees payroll, and disbursement; develops, implements and monitors an effective system of internal control over Institute assets and financial activities; ensures timely and accurate financial reporting; and oversees preparation of all required corporate tax returns; work with in‑country Finance and Administration Coordinators to develop financial reporting systems and sound financial practices; supervise the review and processing of field office financial reports.
- Cash and investment Management: Responsible for timely collection and disbursement of funds and day to day management of investments within the parameters of the IFPRI Board approved investment policy.
- Financial Reporting: P repares periodic reports to the Director of Finance and Administration and Director General; prepares formal financial status reports to the Board of Trustees and CGIAR System Office; ensures the provision of timely information to project leaders for individual project management; provides Division Directors with information to assist them in financial management; responsible for disseminating financial information to government agencies, donors and other interested parties.
- Audit:Serves as the primary liaison with external auditors for annual audit; coordinates with independent auditors to ensure that the annual audit is conducted efficiently and statements are produced timely. Interact with internal audit unit on audit activities.
- Supervision: Overall responsibility for supervision of finance staff; ensure staff is adequately trained.
- Inter-Center Collaboration:Participate in initiatives among CGIAR Centers to harmonize finance and administrative activities.
Required Qualifications :
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field and professional certification, such as a CPA;
- Minimum of fifteen years related relevant experience, with at least five years of experience at a management and supervisory level preferably in a non‑profit, research , international , university or government contracting environment;
- Senior level experience with grants and contracts administration;
- Demonstrated experience with a project based accounting in multiple cost center/allocation environment:; advanced spreadsheet skills required;
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills;
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally;
- Strong analytical, problem‑solving, and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate/interact professionally with a multiculturally diverse group of employees/teams/colleagues, across all staff and management levels.
- Masters in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field
- Experience in Deltek-Costpoint and Cognos software highly desirable
- Experience with large audit firms
Physical Demand & Work Environment:
- Employee will sit in an upright position for a long period of time with little opportunity to move/stretch.
- Employee will lift between 0-10 pounds.
- Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing computer terminal; extensive reading.
Click here to apply