AfricaRice - Consultant Director of Research for Development
Consultant Director of Research for Development
The Africa Rice Centre (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified Consultant Director of Research for Development
(DR4D) to be based at AfricaRice’s 700 ha experimental station at M’bé, near Bouaké, Côte d’Ivoire. S/He will work under the supervision of AfricaRice’s Director General.
AfricaRice is a leading Pan – African rice research organization committed to improving the livelihoods in Africa though strong science and effective partnerships. AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research centers that
are members of the CGIAR System Organization (CSO). It is also an Intergovernmental association of African member countries. Its membership comprises of 28 countries with headquarters in Côte d’Ivoire.
About the position
The DR4D is a member of the AfricaRice senior management team (Executive Management Committee). The mission of the DR4D is to work closely with the EMC and other stakeholders including the relevant CGIAR system components
and provide the appropriate overall direction and support to the DR4D Units, the Grants and Conventions units, Outstation Representatives, Program Leaders and Project coordinators of AfricaRice, in a highly result-oriented
organizational setup, in order to achieve the Institutions objectives, mission and vision
The DR4D may be asked to act as interim DG of the Center when required by the DG. The incumbent will be called upon to travel frequently to the offices of AfricaRice in Abidjan and to Out Stations. The DR4D will have the following duties and responsibilities:
• Lead strategic thinking, priority setting, planning and coordination, monitoring and reviews of AfricaRice’s research for development activities across multiple disciplines and programs with a large range of partners from the public and private sector, in a highly result-oriented setup.
• Ensure continuous review and adjustment of research priorities in close consultation with AfricaRice’s multiple partners and in line with the Center’s vision and mission.
• Provide leadership to staff of the Research for Development Division and the Conventions and Grants Unit and ensure that resources mobilized are used in the most effective and efficient manner.
• Provide oversight and monitor programmatic activities in Out-stations.
• Commission periodic reviews of research programs in consultation with the Director General and the Chair of the Program Committee of the Board of Trustees of the Center.
• Consolidate and further strengthen, research partnerships with National Agricultural Research Institutions, advanced research institutes, regional and continental research fora, the private sector and non governmental organizations in and out of Africa.
• Lead the management and implementation of research activities of the Global Rice Science Partnership (CRP RICE), involving other CGIAR centers and Advanced Research partners in Africa.
• Develop and ensure the sustenance of an effective research for development continuum through AfricaRice’s programs and networks involving multiple consortia and public and private sector partnerships modes.
• Ensure balanced allocation of resources to the Centre’s Programs and lead fund-raising efforts from traditional and non-traditional sources interested in research for development.
• Ensure the enforcement of the risk management policy of the center in the areas of responsibility.
• Ensure capacity strengthening and mentoring of scientists especially on the conceptualization of projects, critical thinking on and analysis of research for development matters.
• Interface with Senior Management on strategic and operational issues and perform any other related duties as may be requested by the Director General to ensure the efficient and effective management and to achieve the objectives, mission and vision of AfricaRice.
• Holding a Doctorate degree in a relevant field with a record of achievements.
• At least 10 years of senior management and leadership experiences with an agricultural research organization, especially providing leadership to programs and projects with an international dimension;
• Demonstrate work experience in Africa, especially as regards the implementation of agricultural research projects involving multiple partners and different categories of stakeholders;
• Demonstrate successful experience in fund raising;
• Demonstrate excellent knowledge of the challenges and opportunities for agricultural research and rural development, particularly in sub-Saharan Africa.
Key competencies and abilities:
• Ability to promote the vision, mission and strategic goals of AfricaRice and demonstrate integrity by adhering to the Centre’s core values and ethical standards.
• Ability to think strategically, synthesize, and disseminate messages from complex issues.
• Ability to encourage and facilitate innovation and teamwork in a multicultural environment including sensitivity to gender, diversity and inclusion in the Centre.
• Ability to communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English or in French, with a very good working knowledge of the other language.
• Show strong motivation and leadership skills to bring out the best from individuals and teams.
• Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Good ability in writing and speaking, in both English and French or at least working knowledge in the other language.
Terms and conditions
• This is an international consultancy position
• AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment
• The initial appointment is for one (1) year with the possibility for renewal based on performance and availability of funding.
How to apply:
1. To apply, click on the following link: http://eservices.africarice.org/application/index.php
2. Create an account if you are a new user, if not log on with your credentials to access active vacancies
3. Select “Consultant Director of Research for Development’’
4. Follow the step by step application procedure.
Only online applications will be considered (If you encounter any technical issue on the career site
during your application, or you are prevented to proceed with your application until its final
completion: Please kindly revert to us along with the screenshot of the issue through this email:
africariceHR@cgiar.org . Applications are not allowed through this email.
Not later than 28 May 2021
AfricaRice promotes equal opportunities and believes that the diversity of its staff contributes to excellence. We
thank all candidates, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For more information on AfricaRice, please
visit our website at: www.AfricaRice.org