World Water Week: Back to the Future: Integrating rice-fish systems for building resilience
12:00 am > 12:00 am
A World Water Week session exploring key opportunities and challenges that integrated rice fish systems offer to food system transformation.
Date: Thursday, 26 August 2021
Time: 13:30-14:55 (UTC+8)
Click here to watch the event recording
What happens in the world’s rice fields makes a big difference for climate resilience and the nutrition and livelihoods of billions of people. Integrated rice-fish production at farm and landscape level, supported by a new set of decision support tools, can help policymakers and investors tailor, target and ultimately, in wide-scale investment in integrated systems, contribute to improved resilience to climate change and a sustainable and healthy food system.
During the Stockholm World Water Week, WorldFish in collaboration with International Water Management Institute and partners hosted a session to explore opportunities and challenges of integrating rice-fish production in global food systems.
Researchers, policymakers and investors gathered to explore opportunities and challenges of integrating rice-fish production to support sustainable and healthy food systems and improve their resilience to climate change. The session fostered cross-sector dialogue and knowledge exchange on major food system tradeoffs and the policies and investments needed to support better integration of fisheries in global food systems for human and planetary health.
- Shakuntala Thilsted, Global Lead for Nutrition and Public Health, WorldFish
Presentation on ‘Influencing investments to improve water and land use to deliver on the UN SDGs and national development priorities’:
- Alvin Lopez, Senior Natural Resources and Agriculture Specialist, Asian Development Bank (ADB)
Presentation on ‘Why integrated rice fish systems are important for building resilience’:
- Sudhir Yadav, Research Lead, Soil, Water and Environment Unit, International Rice Research Institute (IRRI)
Video and demonstration on ‘Scaling Rice Fish Systems: Decision Support Tools for tailoring and targeting investments’:
- Bethany Smith, Geospatial Research Consultant, WorldFish & PhD Candidate, James Cook University
Breakout room leads:
- Sarah Freed, Scientist, Resilient Small-scale Fisheries, WorldFish
- Sanjiv de Silva, Senior Regional Researcher, Natural Resources Governance, International Water Management Institute (IWMI)
- Rica Flor, Scientist, Innovation Systems, International Rice Research Institute (IRRI)
- Rachael McDonnell, Deputy Director General, Research for Development, International Water Management Institute (IWMI)
- Mark Dubois, Officer in Charge, Cambodia, Sustainable Aquaculture, WorldFish
Follow WorldFish and the hashtag #aquaticfoods to check out past conversations on Twitter.