Cultivating Equality: Advancing Gender Research in Agriculture and Food Systems
12.10.21 > 15.10.21
A virtual conference exploring innovative actions to advance gender and research in global food systems.
Date: Tuesday-Friday, 12-15 October 2021
Time: 15:30-21:30 (UTC+8)
In this event hosted by CGIAR Gender Platform and Wageningen University & Research (as EU Gender-Smart partner), different panels made up of representatives from research, civil society, practice, policy, private sector and donors shared insights on the importance of ‘gender + research’ and ‘gender + integration’ in guiding positive transformations in food systems and societies worldwide.
The four-day program generated innovative, conceptually sound, and influential gender+research work while widening and strengthening the networks of researchers dedicated to advancing gender and social inclusion in aquatic food systems.
WorldFish scientists participated in the sessions:
Tuesday, 12 October 2021
- 15:30-17:00 (UTC+8) – WorldFish’s Cynthia McDougall presented in the session ‘COVID-19 Experiences of Women Fish Processors and Traders in Africa: Insights from transdisciplinary research’ – Watch the recording
Wednesday, 13 October 2021
- 15:30-17:00 (UTC+8) – WorldFish’s Rahma Adam presented in the session ‘Systemic Analysis of Value Chains and Implications for Intervention’
- 17:30 – 19:00 (UTC+8) – WorldFish’s Surendran Rajaratnam presented in the session ‘Gender Dynamics in Value Chains beyond Production Node and Single Commodity Analysis’
- 17:30 – 19:00 (UTC+8) – WorldFish’s Mark Dubois participated in the session ‘The Challenges of Interdisciplinary Projects’
- 22:00 – 23:30 (UTC+8) – WorldFish’s Afrina Choudhury presented in the session ‘Understanding the Needs of Women Farmers and Rural Women Entrepreneurs: New Research and Frameworks to Support their Efforts’
Thursday, 14 October 2021
15:30-17:00 (UTC+8) – Session: Gender Norms and Normative Change
- WorldFish’s Anouk Ride presented on ‘Balancing the canoe – community based resource management and gender in Pacific coastal fisheries’
- WorldFish’s S. M. Faridul Haque presented on ‘Gender dynamics: Barriers, opportunities and risks in aquaculture and agriculture sector in northwest Bangladesh’
15:30-17:00 (UTC+8) – Session: Addressing Gender Gaps and Exclusions in Research and Practice
- WorldFish’s Sarah Lawless presented on ‘Diluting gender equality: the case of small-scale fisheries’
- WorldFish’s Cynthia McDougall presented on ‘Conceptualizing and Assessing Inclusion and Exclusion in Community-based Natural Resource Management: A New Framework and Tool’
Thursday, 14 October 2021
- 22:00 – 23:30 (UTC+8) – Cynthia McDougall presented in the session ‘Gender Transformative Approaches: Methods and findings’
Friday, 15 October 2021
- 15:30-17:00 (UTC+8) – WorldFish’s Jacqueline Lau presented in the session ‘Securing Livelihoods’
- 17:30 – 19:00 (UTC+8) – WorldFish’s Cynthia McDougall presented in the session ‘Advancing gender equality through agricultural and environmental research’
For more information on the event agenda, themes, perspectives and expected outcomes, explore here.