CGIAR @ Middle East and North Africa Climate Week (MENACW2022)
Scientific Partnerships for Building Resilient Food Systems
03:00 pm > 12:00 am
Atlantis, The Palm, Dubai
Global food systems are under significant threat from climate change, with yields of specific crops and livestock at immediate risk. The consequences of food shortages and higher food prices will inevitably hit the most vulnerable hardest, leading to malnutrition and severe hunger. The Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, which is highly dependent on food imports, is at heightened risk to global market price shocks and harvest failures.
Community Jameel and the Office of the UAE Special Envoy for Climate Change are coming together to host a side event, “Scientific Partnerships for Building Resilient Food Systems,” which will highlight the role of global scientific partnerships to help spur innovation and breakthroughs within the food systems space. This side event will discuss current issues regarding food systems in the MENA region and the importance of science and evidence in tackling threats to food systems. Specific case studies will be highlighter and pathways will be explored to how scientific research can inform policy change and change public habits, through partnerships with the creative industry.
The high-level panel will focus on the importance of global scientific partnerships to help spur innovation and breakthroughs within the food systems space and tackle global hunger. The speakers featured include:
- Tina Latif, Head of International Affairs for the Office of the UAE Special Envoy for Climate Change
- David Livingston, Senior Advisor, Office of the US Special Presidential Envoy for Climate
- Rachael Mcdonnell, Deputy Director General – Research for Development, CGIAR Alliance Bioversity-CIAT
- Eihab Fathelrahman, Associate Professor, United Arab Emirates University and J-WAFS Visiting Fellow
- Ekin Ogutogullari, Regional Director – Middle East and Eastern Europe, Save the Children International
- Nora Razian, Head of Exhibitions, Art Jameel
- Amna Fatani, Associate Director, Strategy, Community Jameel