Value Chain Specialist
Location: Dakar Dakar Senegal
About the position
Our Climate Action team is looking for a talented, motivated, and high performing Value Chain Specialist to support the delivery of our advisory services to public and private actors. You will be able to develop innovative and high-quality decision-making solutions to help unlock investments in sustainable food systems. We consider the Alliance and the CGIAR work on sustainable finance as strategic to contribute to reducing poverty, improving food and nutrition security, and scaling sustainable agriculture and land use.
As a result of the diverse nature of our work, you will have the opportunity to work within a multicultural and multidisciplinary team. The team provides services globally with a focus on Asia and Africa working with a broad range of clients, including impact investors, governments, multilateral development banks and development partners. One of the key projects currently led by the team is the “The Accelerating the Impact of CGIAR Climate Research for Africa project (AICCRA)” which supports the scaling of Climate Smart Agriculture and Climate Information Services across Africa.
The Value Chain Specialist will join the Alliance’s Climate Action team and work under the supervision of the Global Advisory Services Lead based Rabat, Morocco.
• Lead analytical work of the Alliance on value chain related issues, in particular lead value chain analyses for investment opportunities in sustainable food systems.
• Support with the analysis of complex information and develop investment cases for value chain actors across sustainable food systems
• Lead the review of investment cases across value chains for instance in selected SME’s, cooperatives, conducting a case by case investment feasibility assessment and building a pipeline of bankable projects.
• Contribute to develop cutting-edge research on value chain finance/development and sustainability.
Qualifications and requirements:
• Advanced degree in Economics, Development Studies, Agriculture Economics, Agronomy or related fields required
• Minimum 5 years working experience at international level in value chain finance/development. Direct experience working in the financial services industry or in a top tier consulting firm preferred.
• Regional experience in West Africa and specifically in Dry Lands value chains
• Good understanding of food systems and climate related challenges in developing countries, and how environmental and social issues relate to value chain risks and opportunities
• Intellectually curious and business-driven to deliver innovative and high impact results to clients
• Ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative, and decentralized environment, and operate under tight deadlines
• Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office, with advanced Power Point/presentation skills
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in French and English.