Position: Team Leader
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Application Deadline: 30 November 2022
Type of contract: Fixed-term Contract
Language(s) required: English (proficient/fluent writing and oral skills)
WorldFish is an international, non-profit research and innovation organization reducing hunger, malnutrition and poverty across Africa, Asia and the Pacific. For over 45 years, our work on sustainable aquaculture and fisheries has improved the lives of millions of women, men and youth.
Fish and other aquatic foods grown in and harvested from oceans, lakes, rivers and ponds provide income for more than 800 million people and provide 3.3 billion with 20% of their animal protein intake. Our focus on sustainability makes sure that the way we produce and use these foods today means a plentiful future of generations to come.
Our evidence-based solutions range in scale from households to global policies and spans across interlinked themes: nutrition, gender, climate, sustainability, and economy. We champion aquatic foods for healthy people and planet and believe that a sustainable blue planet of well-nourished children, women and men is within our reach.
WorldFish is part of the CGIAR, a global research partnership delivering evidence and solutions for a food-secure future. Through our collaborative, action-oriented approach, CGIAR helps transform food systems and nutritional security to reduce poverty in developing countries. CGIAR’s research is carried out by CGIAR Centers distributed across the globe in close collaboration with hundreds of partners, including national and regional research institutes, civil society organizations, academia, development organizations, and the private sector. In short, CGIAR improves people’s lives through the transformation of food, land and water systems, helping build a world where everyone has an opportunity to fulfil their potential.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The WorldFish Small Scale Fisheries Coastal Program seeks to improve the resilience of estuarine ecosystems and the livelihoods of communities reliant on them. It seeks to improve science-based fisheries management decision-making; strengthen fisheries adaptive co management and enhance socio ecological and economic resilience of target communities. The Team Leader will provide overall leadership of this USAID funded EcoFish II Project and, in accordance with WorldFish and One CGIAR policies, principles and values, oversee the completion of all operational, financial and administrative priorities and technical requirements. This will include Activity results and deliverables, in accordance with Activity work plans and in line with WorldFish and USAID standard operating procedures.
- Overall leadership, management and technical direction of the Activity to achieve excellence in partnerships, implementation quality and results.
- Oversee implementation of the Activity and provide high quality technical and strategic leadership, managerial oversight, and administration of the project.
- Serve as the primary Activity liaison from WorldFish to USAID and be accountable for achievement of results, ensuring quality of work is maintained at the highest standard and all Activity objectives and deliverables are met.
- Vision, strategy and objectives articulated to team, USAID, partners and other key stakeholders.
- Compliance with all USAID and WorldFish protocols and procedures.
- Build the capacity of Activity staff to meet demand for technical, market systems and managerial skills.
- Support the development of project documentation, report writing and learning association with implementation of the ecosystem and livelihoods approach, including peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Collaboration and partnership with other relevant USAID and other donor projects in Bangladesh.
- Represent the Activity at project meetings, science meetings, and other relevant fora.
- Safeguard WorldFish’s reputation by ensuring that financial, contractual, technical and political integrity is maintained and strengthened.
This job is open to all applicants with the following skills and qualifications:
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Agriculture, Aquaculture/Fisheries, Business Management, Marketing, Development Studies or related fields.
- At least 10 years’ working experience, knowledge and skills in community based fisheries and/or livelihood development projects preferably for USAID funded interventions.
- Demonstrated managerial skills with 5 years’ experience in direct project management of large and complex donor- funded projects.
- An understanding of managing and delivering a project within a broader program of work – in this case the USAID Bangladesh Country Program, and the WorldFish Aquatic Food strategy.
- Competence in activity planning, implementation, monitoring and report writing.
- Demonstrated past experience in integrating gender, youth, environment, and nutrition sensitive approaches into development interventions.
- An ability to provide high level advice and oversight for designing research and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning that complements and strengthens the development outcomes committed to in the EcoFish Project.
- Strong team building and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficient in English language, both in written and verbal communications.
- Ability/willingness to travel to remote locations for field work.
- Proficient with MS office tools (Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) to support effective communication.
This position isopen to all applicantsand WorldFish offers a competitive remuneration package including (but not limited to) insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, pension / provident fund contribution, education allowances for internationally recruited staff, paid leave and others.
Eligibility and Location
The position will be based inDhaka, Bangladesh. Interviews are expected to be held in December 2022 and only shortlisted candidates will be notified and expected to attend the interview. The successful candidate should be available as soon as possible to serve thefixed term contractwith the possibility of contract renewal depending on performance and funding availability.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online latest by30 November2022:
- A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- Names and contacts (telephone and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience.Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, head of HR and peer.
The screening will start immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Our Gender, Diversity and Inclusion Commitment
WorldFish has seven offices across Asia, Africa and the Pacific, with more than 400 staff and 27 nationalities who contribute to a dynamic multicultural work environment.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity and inclusion is valued and we seek to have gender balance in the organization. Our Leadership Team is 50/50 in terms of its gender split and 60% of our management cadre are women.
We continue to seek diversity and gender balance across other dimensions and we support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission.
We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage women and men from developing nations to apply.