Specialist, Applied Data Science
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
The Borlaug Institute for South Asia (BISA) is a nonprofit international research institute dedicated to food, nutrition, livelihood security, and environmental rehabilitation in South Asia, which is home to more than 300 million undernourished people. BISA is a collaborative effort involving CIMMYT and the Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR). Please refer to these websites for more information: www.bisa.org and www.cimmyt.org.
BISA-CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic and results-oriented researcher for the position of Specialist, Applied Data Science to join its Climate Action team in New Delhi. The position will support the development of the Climate Adaptation Atlas for South Asia and risk management options in agriculture.
The scientist will be responsible for providing data-driven insights on risk, impact, and adaptation assessments and leading the implementation of UI/UX together with software developers and the project team.
The position will be based in New Delhi, India.
- Use big data analytics and related techniques to quantify climatic risks and adaptation
- Provide data-driven insights on climate hazard, exposure, and agricultural risk characterization.
- Engage with BISA-CIMMYT staff and partners to understand user persona requirements, next-users, and use case developments for South Asia Climate Adaptation Atlas.
- Lead the team’s work related to the development of UI/UX together with a software company, project team, and nodal agencies in South Asian countries.
- Organization and analysis of large datasets from both primary and secondary data sources. Integration of data from multiple sources, e.g., climate hazard, exposure and vulnerability layers, household surveys, on-farm testing, earth observation, and other geospatial data.
- Publish research findings in international peer-reviewed journals and contribute to the dissemination of results to stakeholders via workshops and webinars.
- Raise the capacity of national partners in risk analysis and Adaptation Atlas processes, technologies, and software.
Required qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- Post Graduate degree in data science or statistics, engineering, or a related science field.
- At least three years of relevant experience or a Ph.D. degree with at least one year of related experience.
- Experience in quantitative data collection, processing, and analysis. Knowledge of R, Python, Stata, and GIS applications are all assets.
- Well-developed knowledge of data science methods, including machine learning approaches to predictive analytics and data visualization.
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment as a member of a diverse work team.
- Desirable: Experience in agriculture risk management analysis and adaptation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- The selected candidate should exhibit the following competencies: Client Orientation, Negotiation, and Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Decision Making, Teamwork, and Communication.
The position is for an initial fixed term of three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health, and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual home travel airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online for IRS22177_Specialist, Applied Data Science.
Screening and follow-up of applications will begin on Monday, January 23rd, 2023. Applications must include a CV, with contact details (telephone and email address) of 3 work-related references along with the confirmation that we can contact them) and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.