Scientific Officer – Pearl Millet Breeding
ICRISAT seeks applications from Indian Nationals for the position of Scientific Officer for Pearl Millet Breeding and HarvestPlus in Crop Improvement under Asia program. The position is based at ICRISAT Patancheru, Telangana. The position reports to a Principal Scientist in Crop Improvement, Asia Program, ICRISAT.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi-arid tropics is home to over 2 billion people, with 650 million of these being the poorest of the poor. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
Headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India ICRISAT has two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
- Scientific support and maintain pearl millet breeding nurseries and trial records.
- Digitalizing breeding and field trials data (in BMS) and its management.
- Handling breeding operations such as hybrid seed production, back crossing, selfing etc.,
- Executing the planned scientific experiments and data analyses.
- Implementing Rapid Generation plan in the pearl millet breeding program using QC markers
- Monitoring partner’s locations trials and breeding nurseries and data collection.
- Handling cold storage materials and its record for pearl millet breeding.
- Provide help and support to various on-going research activities in pearl millet breeding program.
- Provide support to scientist in data summary and drafting appendices and other related jobs from time to time
- Micronutrient (grain Fe/Zn) estimation of grain samples using XRF, its summarization and selection of micro-nutrient rich lines
Essential criteria and competencies:
- M.Sc. in Plant Breeding and Genetics from a reputed university with sound academic record
- Candidate having 2-3 years of working experience in hybrid breeding techniques and its operations, and if specifically, in pearl millet breeding will be preferred
- Working Knowledge on field designs for trials planning and randomization
- Know data management methods and ability to use computer (MS office, Excel, Access) and field tabs
- Knowledge on Crop and nutrient management
- Proficiency in English communication skills (both written and spoken)
- Acumen for breeding-pedigree data management and data analysis is desirable
- Should be a good team player and adaptable to working in multicultural team
This is a Locally Recruited Staff (LRS) position for 3 years renewable based on the funding availability, incumbent’s performance and the Institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 7 May 2020, with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer