Resident Consultant – World Vegetable Center
ICRISAT seeks applications for the position of Resident Consultant to coordinate the vegetable research, training and extension activities of the APART project in the state of Assam, India. This is a comprehensive development project of the Government of Assam, funded by the World Bank, and involving national and international partners including World Vegetable Center. The vegetable research and development activities will involve improving the quality and availability of seeds and seedlings, promoting climate resilient production systems and safe and hygienic production. This will be done in close collaboration with Assam government and university partners. This is a consultant position open for Indian nationals only. The consultant will be based in Guwahati, Assam and will work closely with the research team at WorldVeg regional headquarters in Hyderabad, India.
The World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg) is an international non-profit institute for vegetable research and development. Founded in 1971 with headquarters in Taiwan, the Center’s global network today covers East and Southeast Asia, sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia and Central Asia. The Center mobilizes resources from the public and private sector to realize the potential of vegetables for healthier lives and more resilient livelihoods. WorldVeg’s improved varieties, production and postharvest methods help farmers increase vegetable harvests, raise incomes in poor rural and urban households, create jobs, and provide healthier, more nutritious diets for families and communities. For more information, please visit our website: worldveg.org
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more visit www.icrisat.org
- Lead a team of Horticulturalist/Agronomist, Training and field officers serving the districts across Assam to implement on-farm trials, training programs and scale-up innovation in vegetable and pulses production in collaboration with local partners.
- Establish and maintain effective communication links between the APART project management team and international and state government partners to ensure implementation of improved vegetable and pulses cultivation practices in the field.
- Coordinate the implementation of on-farm demonstrations of improved varieties and seedling production systems, good agricultural practices and integrated pest management in close coordination with international partners and state institutions.
- Organize and implement training programs to strengthen the capacity of local partners in carrying out research and extension activities for vegetable farmers.
- Seek out and coordinate technical and training inputs from WorldVeg staff from around the region and headquarters, and other commercial and government experts to help overcome key vegetable and pulses management problems in Assam.
- Develop extension training materials, regular seasonal progress reports and annual work plans, financial reports, and presentations as needed by project stakeholders.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Ph.D. in horticulture/agriculture or extension with at least 8 – 10 years’ experience in coordinating and implementing sustainable Horticulture programs, preferably vegetable crops.
- Proven experience in effectively leading teams, and working closely with public and private sector partners to implement vegetable research and development projects.
- Extensive experience in conducting training and extension programs for farmers.
- Wide experience in commercial vegetable research and extension work.
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to conduct, monitor, analyze, evaluate experimental trials and communicate results.
- Passionate and entrepreneurial skills with experience in working effectively in large teams and an urge to help farmers improve crop management practices.
- Significant agricultural research and/or development publication record.
- Extensive experience in improving agricultural systems for the benefit of smallholder farmers.
- Excellent communication and computer skills, with fluency in written and spoken English and Assamese (knowledge of regional languages would be an advantage) and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
This is a Consolidated position for two years with the possibility of extension depending on requirement, funding availability, and performance of the incumbent.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 10 May 2020 with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three referees who are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
“ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer”