Project Scientist – Genome Biology
ICRISAT seeks applications from a dynamic and highly innovative Project Scientist – Genome Biology to work in rice genetic improvement in a multi-disciplinary team comprising scientists from various disciplines. This position is required to integrate a systems-level approach to unravel these complex processes at all scales, integrating cutting-edge experimental and computational approaches. The candidate will work in close collaboration with the trait development team of IRRI for the seamless delivery of research activities. The position is within the Rice Breeding Platform-South Asia Region. It will report to the Regional Breeding Lead – South Asia.
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science, improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers, and protecting rice-growing environments for future generations. For more information, visit www.irri.org
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more information, visit www.icrisat.org
- Establish capacity to integrated systems-level approach to unravel these complex processes at all scales, integrating cutting-edge experimental and computational approaches
- Functional characterization and validation of candidate genes for the targeted traits and uncover molecular mechanisms in genome regulation of the identified candidate genes for the targeted traits
- Support the implementation of the project deliverables through the selection of appropriate combinations of genes for introgression in the breeding programs
- Actively participate in the strategic planning and research meeting of Rice Breeding Planform and Rice Breeding SA Cluster
- Coordinate closely with the IRRI HQ team (RB Platform), ICRISAT team, ISARC team, project partners, other NAREs collaborators
- Engage with ISARC to help build capacity in effective identification of candidate genes and for the effective transfer of knowledge, technology, and strategy.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Ph.D. in molecular biology/life science/biotechnology with 1-2 years of post-PhD experience in molecular mechanisms in genome regulation
- Publications in high impact journals in the relevant filed.
- Extensive experience in molecular biology
- Fluency in spoken and written English is essential
- Aptitude to work collegially and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural environments.
This is a Consolidated Position for 32 months and renewable depending on the functioning of the incumbent, funding availability, and also the Institute’s ongoing requirement for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 18 May 2020 with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three referees who are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
“ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer”