Programme Associate, GFAiR (Rome, Italy)
The Global Forum on Agricultural Research and Innovation (GFAiR) is a voluntary multi-stakeholder network and movement for change, uniquely bringing together actors from 13 constituencies interested in the transformation of the Agri-Food System. GFAiR is made up of over 900 member networks and institutions, working together through collective advocacy and action, to shape the future of agriculture and food and their role in achieving sustainable development. The partners in GFAiR come from all around the world and across many constituencies, including farmers, consumers and civil society organizations, women and youth organizations, the private sector, public national and international research systems, advisory services, education, donor bodies and three UN Organizations. GFAiR’s reach is achieved through these organizations and the many millions of people they involve.
GFAiR mobilizes dialogue and Collective Actions between the many partners who make up the Forum and who share GFAiR’s common vision of making agri-food research and innovation more effective, responsive, and equitable towards achieving Sustainable Development outcomes. The GFAiR Secretariat helps trigger these Collective Actions among GFAiR partner institutions, who are themselves the agents of change. GFAiR helps inspire and enable the transformation and strengthening of agri-food research and innovation for development systems and processes to become more inclusive and equitable, more effective, and impactful and catalyses changes, fostering dialogue and new forms of multi stakeholder collaboration at different levels, through its extensive networks, South- South, North South and between constituencies.
On behalf of GFAiR, the Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), which hosts GFAiR in its Rome, Italy, office, is seeking a qualified candidate to serve as a Programme Associate.
About the position
Based in Rome, Italy, and under the supervision and guidance of the Research, Innovation and Partnership Officer, the incumbent will operate and take decisions on work priorities. Supervision received is focused on the quality of work output.
- Monitor project budgets, ensuring that funds are properly allocated and reported upon, and take corrective action if necessary; inform management of any budgetary issues that may require attention.
- Provide assistance to budget holders in preparing Budgetary Reports, and related work plans for the Secretariat as required.
- Collaborates with budget holders on the preparation of project budget revisions.
- Respond to a variety of routine queries, providing clarifications on programme and project matters.
- Inform management and team members of processes, procedures, and timeframes required to secure necessary administrative services for programme/project execution.
- Initiate correspondence to verify data, obtain additional information on transactions and budgetary matters.
- Review data quality, maintain office records and reference files on various subjects; compile and synthesize data from various sources to support financial analyses on programme/project activities.
- Contribute to the creation of periodic or ad-hoc management reports.
- Coordinate all administrative and financial actions related to staff management, non-staff support, travel, payments, and procurement.
- Review and advise on enhancing current programme/project administration procedures and processes.
- Receive, screen and direct telephone calls and visitors; respond to routine internal and external enquiries and/or refer to appropriate contacts/units.
- Perform other functions as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, project management, or relevant
- Demonstrated track record of effectively engaging and advising a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including the ability to collaborate effectively with individuals from various national and cultural backgrounds.
- Well-developed skills in personal organization, time management, priority setting and problem-solving.
- Flexibility and the capacity to meet deadlines, while ensuring high standards of excellence.
- Ability to work with a high degree of independence.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office Suite packages.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and Italian languages.
Terms of employment
This is a locally recruited position based in Rome, Italy. The position is level 6, on a scale of 14 levels, with level 14 being the highest. The salary range starts from Euro 43,310 per annum. All benefits are denominated and paid in EURO. The remuneration package includes a competitive salary, leave provisions, medical and life insurance, and non-contributory retirement plan. The contract will be for a period of 2 years, subject to a probationary period of 6 months, and is renewable subject to performance, project needs and availability of funds.
Please note that eligible applicants must have the legal status to live and work in Italy:
- Be Italian nationals holding a valid passport or identity card.
- Or be EU citizens holding a valid passport or identity card and confirmation of registration from the Registrar’s Office (Anagrafe).
- Or Non – EU citizens holding a valid Italian work permit (permesso di soggiorno per lavoro subordinato).
Please apply online through the website ( https://alliancebioversityciat.org/careers ) no later than 15 January 2024, attaching a curriculum vitae, motivation letter, both in English, and contact information (e.g. names, email address) of at least three references. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and email applications will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 15 January 2024
We invite you to learn more about us at:
Please visit our careers page at:
 The Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT is an equal opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity. Bioversity International and CIAT are CGIAR Research Centers. For further information consult the website at https://alliancebioversityciat.org/