Program Finance Manager
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Program Finance Manager to support the Sustainable Agri-food Systems Program Project Portfolio as well as support the development of adequate financial management for the innovative business models and strategies.
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Manage financial functions and activities related to the Sustainable Agrifood Systems project portfolio.
- Develop adequate financial management requirements of the innovative business models and strategies in coordination with the Corporate Service Units of CIMMYT.
- Generate learning and systematization of the financial management of the project portfolio.
- Day to day management of core processes such as:
- Elaborate budgets based on ABC costing system.
- Elaborate and update budget breakdown strictly based on signed donor agreements.
- Provide budget breakdown strictly based on signed donor agreements to PFMU to be uploaded into the financial system.
- Review and submit for approval rationale and supporting documentation for reallocations of expenditure between projects.
- Timely internal review and submission of approved Financial Donor Reports to PFMU.
- Project Finance Monitoring by linking financial support documentation with technical activities in coordination with Project Managers.
- Ensure accurate budget monitoring reports, including a monthly analysis with a dashboard that comprehends project cash flow and projections, are prepared for the project portfolio.
- Perform top-down budget versus actual expenses review for projects and highlight issues while suggesting actions to Supervisor.
- Quality control and authorization of proposals budget and Financial Donor report.
- Attend monthly meetings with program finance managers to discuss requirements on new grants, issues, and corrective actions for ongoing grants and closure of projects.
- Preparation of specific information requests while collecting them for submission (if applicable).
- Capture institutional best practices and lessons learned based on the experience of the project portfolio.
- Ensure effective reporting to donors related to selected projects, particularly on new proposals and technical and financial reports.
- Set and monitor appropriate and measurable financial performance indicators and targets for different stakeholders in coordination with Finance Department.
- Design the monitor and control activities to be implemented in the short, medium, and long term.
- Perform risk assessments on donor reporting activities.
- Develop and provide recommendations related to institutional process improvements for adequate financial project management.
- Perform other duties as directed by supervisor.
- Coordinate project audits per grant agreement and donor requests in coordination with the Internal Audit Unit, Finance Department, CIMMYT’s Project Leaders, and other responsible parties.
- Work closely with Program Managers, Regional Program Managers, and Project Leaders to ensure the best financial practices of the project portfolio.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- The selected candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance. A Master’s degree in Finance or administration will represent an advantage
- The selected candidate must have at least 5 years of experience working in a finance position with increasing levels of responsibility in a medium-sized to large grant-funded organization.
- The selected candidate must have at least 3 years of experience in grant or project financial management.
- The selected candidate must have at least 3 years of experience in the supervision of staff.
- The selected candidate needs to have experience working in a multicultural, international environment/ atmosphere preferred.
- The selected candidate must have knowledge of financial systems, ERP, MS Office, databases, data extraction methods, report presentation, and analytical skills.
- The selected candidate needs to show an advanced level of usage in MS Office Suite (Advanced skills in Excel).
- Advanced level in the English language (English test will be administered; candidate must score a minimum of C1 as per CEFR).
- The candidate must exhibit a sense of urgency and commitment to his responsibilities and deadlines.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Teamwork, Client Orientation, Negotiation, and Conflict Resolution, Critical Thinking, and Communication.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.