The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Legal Counsel to work in the Legal Unit under the Corporate Services Program (CSP).
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Provide essential and day-to-day support to the Head of Legal in all areas of responsibility, including assisting with internal and external communications; assisting with drafting, editing, and preparation of correspondences and other legal documents; maintaining confidential files; and performing and/or managing special projects upon request.
- Provide support to the Contract Life Cycle Management drafting, review, negotiation, amendment, release, quality control, management, contracts, and agreements entered by CIMMYT with national and international (private and public) entities.
- Research and analyze treaties, laws, regulations, policies, and procedures from a variety of legal areas and jurisdictions where CIMMYT operates to ensure its compliance, to provide legal counsel and advice in diverse areas, including all areas related to corporate, criminal, regulatory, labor, tax, administrative and litigation legislation, drafting legal opinions, notes, letters, memoranda, and other legal documents.
- Research, collect and analyze data accurately and thoroughly from reports, files, and databases.
- Establish and maintain a file tracking system, databases, records, and/or other documents. Organize legal files and materials so that they are easily accessed and retrieved without compromising the confidentiality or privacy of the information they contain.
- Prepare agendas and attend meetings and take minutes; capture action items and ensure follow-up and prep time for participants; ensuring Department tasks are met; among other administrative tasks.
- Assisting with preparation of lists, status charts, and data management integral to the Department
- Support the curation of agreements and other document databases.
- Maintain a high level of support for stakeholders requiring input, search, and update data and information.
- Manage and track a high volume of tasks and projects.
- Participate in the optimization of processes for legal services processes and guidelines.
- Ensure proper follow-up of entrusted matters, tracking these matters daily in the provided dashboards and KPI monitoring tools that will be used to prepare the progress update to the relevant areas.
- Provide other support as required and perform other duties as directed by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law.
- The selected candidate must have at least 3-year experience in corporate law, commercial/contract law in either a company or a legal firm.
- Proficient computer skills (at a minimum: Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat) and willingness to learn/master other programs and software as necessary.
- Excellent organizational, writing, research, and communication skills, including the writing and communication skills, including the ability to communicate legal concepts to lay (non-legal) stakeholders.
- Advanced level of English. English will be tested, and the candidate should score a minimum of C1 on CEFR.
- High level of responsibility, confidentiality, and discretion.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Critical Thinking, Creative Thinking, Communication, Client Orientation, Teamwork, and Problem Solving and Decision Making, Negotiation and Conflict Resolution.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.