Gender-Smart Investing Specialist
The Accelerating the Impact of CGIAR Climate Research for Africa project (AICCRA) is administered by the Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT, the lead center for the CGIAR Program on Climate Change, Agriculture, and Food Security (CCAFS). CCAFS brings together the world’s best researchers in agricultural, climate and earth science to deliver innovative research-based solutions that catalyze positive change towards low-carbon and climate resilient food systems.
CGIAR considers sustainable finance as a key lever for change in the sustainability agenda and a crucial driver to support the transition to sustainable and climate resilient food systems. Greater engagement on sustainable finance will contribute to reducing poverty, improvements in food and nutrition security and protection and regeneration of natural resources and ecosystem services. To that end, we work with governments, international financial institutions, asset owners, asset managers and corporates to help reorient and leverage capital flows towards innovative investments in sustainable food systems.
This is a key growth area for CGIAR, as we receive greater demand from public and private investors for our cutting-edge research, advisory services, global operational capacity and innovation focus. We focus on providing innovative science-based solutions that drive sustainable economic growth while delivering positive climate and development outcomes. Our main areas of work on sustainable finance focus on:
- Develop innovative investment solutions for sustainable food systems
- Provide advisory services to ensure that investments in food systems achieve sustainable development and positive climate impact
- Develop cutting-edge research on the intersection between sustainable finance and sustainable food systems
About the position
We are currently seeking applications for the position of Gender-Smart Investing Specialist. The overall objective is to help CGIAR and AICCRA mainstream gender and climate change into the risk management, investment decision and capital allocation processes as to radically increase the volume of capital that flows to women led SMEs as well as increase the number of women that run impact funds with a climate focus. This position will be based at Dakar, Senegal or Nairobi, Kenya.
- Support AICCRA to develop a strategic roadmap that advises private investors on how to mainstream gender and climate change into their risk management, investment decision and capital allocation processes
- Support AICCRA to work with public and specifically private investors to develop and execute innovative strategies and investment solutions that promotes gender-lens investing and climate change within sustainable food systems
- Provide capacity development advisory services to financial institutions, asset managers and SMEs in emerging markets. Services may include training and facilitation, market research and product design related to gender-lens investing and climate change
- Develop, negotiate and execute new partnership deals with leading corporates, financial institutions and investors that promotes gender-lens investing and climate change
- Manage and implement complex research assignments for clients. This will include collaborating with AICCRA scientists and technical experts to outline draft proposals, conduct complex analysis, and take responsibility for the deliverable of final high-quality work products
- Support the uptake at scale of the cutting-edge research and innovations generated by AICCRA and CGIAR
- Contribute to develop cutting-edge research on sustainable finance and ESG related issues for food systems
- Support project teams to disaggregate problems and provide innovative solutions
- Keep abreast of latest innovations on sustainable finance and sustainable food systems
Qualifications and requirements
- Advanced degree in Economics, Finance or Business Administration required
- Minimum 7 years working experience at international level in the area of sustainable finance, climate finance and/or impact investing
- Proven experience supporting gender-lens investing and climate change for under-served populations and / or research on this topic. Direct experience working in a gender lens investing role strongly preferred
- Expertise in the underlying socio-economic drivers that can support women empowerment and financial inclusion
- Sound experience working with asset owners, asset managers, corporates, public & private donors etc
- Strong network of donors, trusts, foundations, HNWI, family offices, etc
- Solid knowledge of innovative financial instruments in sustainable land use and climate smart food systems, with a specific focus on gender-lens investing
- Good understanding of food systems and climate related challenges in developing countries, and how environmental and social issues relate to business risks and opportunities
- Intellectually curious and business-driven to deliver innovative and high impact results to clients
- Critical thinker able to analyze complex information and produce high quality work products in an easy-to-understand manner
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative and decentralized environment, and operate under tight deadlines
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office, with advanced Power Point/presentation skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; a second language (French) is strongly preferred
Terms of employment
This is an international recruited position placed at a BG8, in a scale of 14 levels, with level 14 being the highest. The initial contract will be for up to two (2) years, subject to a probation period of six (6) months, and is renewable depending on performance and availability of resources. The Alliance Bioversity-CIAT offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer, and strive for gender, diversity and inclusion in our staff, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, marital status, or any other characteristic.
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the above position against the qualifications, competencies, skills together with a detailed curriculum vitae, including names and addresses of three referees knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. All correspondence should be addressed to the Human Resources Office, at (firstname.lastname@example.org) and should clearly indicate “Application: Gender-Smart Investing Specialist.”
Please note that applications that do not include all the information described above will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Closing date for applications: May 12/2021.
We invite you to learn more about us at: https://alliancebioversityciat.org/ ; https://annualreport2019.alliancebioversityciat.org/