The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of SASAS Data Coordinator for the USAID-funded Sustainable Agrifood Systems Approach for Sudan (SASAS) implemented in Sudan from October 2022 to September 2024. The goal of the SASAS project is to ensure smallholder farmers in important food production regions in Sub-Saharan Africa have the information and innovations needed, using market-based approaches, to maintain or increase food production to mitigate the impacts of the global food, fuel, and fertilizer price increases resulting from Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
The Data Coordinator supports efficiency and effectiveness in the SASAS program by collecting and validating data obtained in field activities and providing support for the use of data management-related software and hardware.
The position is based in Khartoum, Sudan.
- Collect, prepare, and load files into databases and/or repositories by carrying out standardized data quality control processes and routine data transformations.
- Ensure that all files meet minimal metadata standards prior to loading into databases and/or repositories and maintain records of all data submission processes from the various team.
- Support training in the use of project information management-related software including data capture and visualization tools.
- Assist in the preparation of training materials.
Local and International Support
- Provide on-site support for the use of project information management-related software as well as hardware such as tablets, printers, and barcode scanners.
- Extend regional data support via travel to experimental stations within Sudan and other countries in Africa.
- Develop working relationships with the SASAS team and support functions for strong capacity building and stakeholder management processes to be done efficiently.
- Perform other duties as directed by supervisors.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Applied Statistics. A Master’s Degree will represent an advantage.
- At least five years of relevant experience in similar positions.
- Experience in supporting communications and/or media relations in agricultural research for development is an added advantage.
- Experience in providing technical support to technicians and data clerks both onsite and online.
- Experience with users in the use of hardware and data management and statistical software.
- Provide support in designing data collection tools and data preparations for research projects.
- Continuously updated on data management skills and technologies through training: Open Data Management in Agriculture and Nutrition (GODAN), Plant Variety Protection (UPOV), Spatial Data Science (ESRI), Data Science (Microsoft); Biodiversity Informatics (AIMS), Manage Successful Impact Evaluation Surveys (WorldBank);
- Maintain and participate in activities of professional memberships: International Biometric Society, International Statistical Institute, American Statistical Association
- Ability to contribute to publications such as Stability Assessment of Single-Cross Maize Hybrids Using GGE-Biplot Analysis; UAV-Based Multispectral Phenotyping for Disease Resistance to Accelerate Crop Improvement under Changing Climate Conditions.
- Statistical, data management, and programming skills including IMIS Fieldbook, R, SAS, META-R, SPSS, Python, MySQL, Earth Engine, QGis
- Class 4 Drivers license is a must.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Organization, Critical thinking, Teamwork, Client Orientation, Problem-Solving decision-making, Negotiation, and Conflict resolution.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development.
Candidates must apply online to SD23139_Data Coordinator.
For more information on the recruitment process please, contact Didier Gonzalez (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.