Communications Consultant – Gender & Social Inclusion
The CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS) marshals the science and expertise of the global CGIAR partnership to catalyze positive change towards a climate-smart future in agriculture and food systems. It scales up the practices, technologies and institutions that enable agriculture to meet triple goals of food security, adaptation and mitigation.
CCAFS’ Gender & Social Inclusion (GSI) team is seeking a candidate for a six-month part-time communications consultancy (July–December 2021). The consultant will be hired under a standard consultancy contract, operating independently for CCAFS.
The Communications Consultant will support the GSI team in two primary ways: (i) Coordinating the work of GSI with stakeholders ensuring high-quality and timely outputs; and (ii) Supporting the Global Communications and Knowledge Manager on events and advocacy primarily focused on the UN COP26 climate negotiations.
The consultant will work part-time (8-10 days a month), delivering the following duties:
- Draft GSI content for the CCAFS website (news, blogs, research highlights, in the news).
- Write, edit, proof and approve blogs by the GSI team, providing feedback and ensuring the blogs meet website and publishing guidelines.
- Create and post engaging social media content (utilizing programs like Canva or Adobe Creative Cloud) that effectively disseminate GSI research findings to key audiences or supports GSI events.
- Create and Coordinate online campaigns around international days and other key events
- Manage and further develop gender and social inclusion-specific communication channels, including contributions to the CGIAR GENDER Platform, cgxchange, and the Gender, Agriculture, and Climate Change Network on LinkedIn.
- Coordinate with external communication teams including the CGIAR GENDER platform
- Coordinate with other CCAFS teams and regions to determine gender/youth components that can be promoted
- Collaborate across CCAFS and with external partners to capture gender and social inclusion-related project outcomes and disseminate this information through e-learning, webinars, etc.
- Contribute to global communications projects and events including the CCAFS legacy films, and pre-COP26 events
- Contributions to the CCAFS Communications Annual Report and MARLO reporting for 2021
- Edit and proof GSI publications including Working papers, InfoNotes and journal articles
- Assist in the planning and implementation of GSI events
- Other tasks as required.
- Provide communications support to a new project being launched by CCAFS this year –Accelerating the Impact of CGIAR Climate Research for Africa (AICCRA) – with exact duties and responsibilities to be confirmed.
- The consultant must be fluent in English, and able to write and edit English language content to a high standard.
- The consultant should have a proven interest in strategic communications, innovative campaigns and social media engagement that can inform and influence audiences and key stakeholders.
- While knowledge of climate change, agriculture, gender and food security are of course advantageous, we are more concerned with finding someone with an analytical mind who can look afresh at CCAFS research to find creative ways to communicate our ideas, constructively challenging our assumptions and ways of working.
- They must be able to write creatively and create content that speaks to different audiences.
- They must be highly organized—being able to manage competing demands—with good attention to detail.
- Consultants familiar with web-based platforms that help us create digital content for social media—e.g. Canva and Headliner—will be preferred.
How to apply
To apply, please email a letter of interest, a resume, one writing sample, contact information for two references to Nitya Chanana, CCAFS GSI Science Officer at email@example.com no later than Wednesday 30 June 2021.
CCAFS strives for diversity in gender and nationality among its consultants and staff.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted about this consultancy.
We reserve the right to appoint a candidate before the advertised deadline.