Associate Scientist, Cropping Systems Agronomist
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: http://www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking an outstanding, motivated candidate for the position of Associate Scientist with specialization in Agronomy to coordinate activities of the Sustainable Agri-food Systems programs. The position offers an early to mid-career opportunity for a researcher interested in the use of sustainable intensification and related agronomic practices towards resilient agri-food systems and climate change adaptation. The successful candidate will work in the Sustainable Agri-food Systems Program of CIMMYT and implement the new One-CG initiative projects as well as other on-going projects.
The position will be based in Lilongwe, Malawi.
- Develop and deliver training curriculum for local researchers and extension educators and community leaders on managing agronomic research programs including promotion and research backstopping for the effective adoption of sustainable cropping systems.
- Assist in surveys, farmer-to-farmer exchange and study tours to facilitate widespread adoption of sustainable intensification technologies.
- Carry out participatory action research in collaboration with other CIMMYT staff and partners in ongoing research-for-development programs for maize-based sustainable farming, and related agronomic systems in southern Africa.
- Develop and strengthen partnerships with diverse actors, including other International Research Centers (CGs), national agricultural research programs and advanced research institutes, so that expertise and advanced technologies from the latter reach farmers’ fields.
- Oversee the management of high-quality long-term trials to study topics such as cropping system productivity, soil quality, water and nutrient use efficiencies, and pest and disease dynamics.
- Spearhead data synthesis and analysis from large available datasets.
- Communicate research results to diverse audiences, including scientists, change agents, policy makers, the media, and farmers.
- Help develop new initiatives and research in the region and elsewhere as needed by the Sustainable Agri-food Systems (SAS) and other CIMMMYT programs.
- Support the mobilization of research resources in partnership with funding institutions.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Ph.D. in Agronomy, Soil Science, Agroecology, Farming Systems, or a closely related field.
- Considerable practical agricultural experience, including experience with on-farm research and farm equipment.
- Experience with using participatory research methodologies and adapting agricultural practices to local biophysical and socioeconomic conditions.
- Strong record of high-quality scientific publication and experience in translating research results into bulletins and training materials.
- Computer literacy, with proficiency in the common software packages.
- Strong expertise in R and related open-source software and packages would be an advantage
- High proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Ability to work in multi-cultural environments and in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Willingness to spend considerable time away from home.
- Commitment to advances in farm productivity, food security and poverty reduction in the developing world.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Critical Thinking, Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, Communication, Teamwork and Client Orientation.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual home travel airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online for IRS22124_Associate Scientist – Cropping Systems Agronomist. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Monday, June 6th, 2022. Applications must include a CV, with contact details (telephone and email address) of 3 work-related references along with your confirmation that we can contact them and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.