CGIAR has a wealth of experience and knowledge spanning 50 years
that builds on a track-record of innovation and world class research. Thanks to our funders, CGIAR research has transformed the lives of hundreds of millions of people through tangible research outcomes.
“No dialogue can be more important than how to feed our world in the face of climate change. Investment in agricultural research delivers amongst the highest returns.”
Akinwumi Adesina, President African Development Bank
Impacts from the last 10 years
- Improved climate resilience in farming communities in 21 countriesthrough the establishment of Climate Smart Villages which test and scale resilient food system innovations.
- Improved nutrition for 20 million people in low-income countriesthrough increased access to critical nutrients via micronutrient fortified crops with higher content of vitamin A, iron, and zinc.
- Improved harvests, income for farmers and nutrition for childrenunder 5 years of age through the development of new tilapia strains, fisheries management practices, and integration of agriculture-fish crop systems.
- Led responses to urgent and emerging crop and livestock diseaseswith global experts, including Fall Armyworm outbreak in sub-Saharan Africa, Wheat Blast epidemic in Bangladesh, and East Coast fever, a deadly cattle disease in East Africa.
- Scaled access to improved wheat varietiesreaching almost half the world’s wheat areas Annual economic benefit of wheat breeding research ranges from $2.2 to $3.1 billion.
- Increased rice yield in 13 countries in sub-Saharan Africaby 0.5 to 1 ton per hectare and profitability by US$200 per hectare through a smart mobile crop management tool called ‘RiceAdvice’
Mutating diseases drive wheat variety turnover in Ethiopia, new study shows05.07.18
Rapidly emerging and evolving races of wheat stem rust and stripe rust disease—the crop’s deadli…Read more
Momentum for U.N. decade of ecological restoration grows ahead of Nairobi GLF02.07.18
A proposal by Brazil to pool global resources and dedicate 10 years to promoting the…Read more
Adding colour to rural diets year round with the Seasonal Food Availability Booklet02.07.18
- Food Security
From focus group to plate: a new tool developed by Bioversity International to enhance the…Read more