CGIAR has a wealth of experience and knowledge spanning 50 years
that builds on a track-record of innovation and world class research. Thanks to our funders, CGIAR research has transformed the lives of hundreds of millions of people through tangible research outcomes.
“No dialogue can be more important than how to feed our world in the face of climate change. Investment in agricultural research delivers amongst the highest returns.”
Akinwumi Adesina, President African Development Bank
Impacts from the last 10 years
- Improved climate resilience in farming communities in 21 countriesthrough the establishment of Climate Smart Villages which test and scale resilient food system innovations.
- Improved nutrition for 20 million people in low-income countriesthrough increased access to critical nutrients via micronutrient fortified crops with higher content of vitamin A, iron, and zinc.
- Improved harvests, income for farmers and nutrition for childrenunder 5 years of age through the development of new tilapia strains, fisheries management practices, and integration of agriculture-fish crop systems.
- Led responses to urgent and emerging crop and livestock diseaseswith global experts, including Fall Armyworm outbreak in sub-Saharan Africa, Wheat Blast epidemic in Bangladesh, and East Coast fever, a deadly cattle disease in East Africa.
- Scaled access to improved wheat varietiesreaching almost half the world’s wheat areas Annual economic benefit of wheat breeding research ranges from $2.2 to $3.1 billion.
- Increased rice yield in 13 countries in sub-Saharan Africaby 0.5 to 1 ton per hectare and profitability by US$200 per hectare through a smart mobile crop management tool called ‘RiceAdvice’
From obese to starving, nutrition crisis prompts SOS call for new approach11.01.19
Calls are being made for a new approach in 2019 to how food is produced…Read more
We need more magic beans to help us offset the effects of climate change09.01.19
You may think magic beans belong in fairy tales. But when scientist Daniel Debouck went…Read more
New Director General of Bioversity International and Chief Executive Officer Designate of the Alliance between CIAT and Bioversity International28.11.18
Juan Lucas Restrepo has been appointed to the position of Director General of Bioversity Internation…Read more