The CGIAR System Organization is governed by the Charter of the CGIAR System Organization, and in collaboration with the CGIAR System Council, provides governance to the CGIAR System. The System Organization has an important role in facilitating and overseeing the development, effective and efficient implementation of the CGIAR Strategy and Results Framework. The System Organization enters into agreements with the trustee of the CGIAR Trust Fund, Funders, Centers and other relevant entities for funding CGIAR Research and other activities of the CGIAR System.
The System Organization is headed by an Executive Director. Elwyn Grainger-Jones (Managing Director, Institutional Strategy and Systems and member of the Executive Management Team) has served as Executive Director of the System Organization since October 3, 2016.
The System Organization comprises the following two constituent parts:
The CGIAR System Board is the governing body of the System Organization. Its composition, functions and operational procedures are set forth in the Charter of the CGIAR System Organization.
The System Management Office, hosted in Montpellier, France, is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the System Organization, and for providing support to the CGIAR System Board, the System Council and the Executive Management Team. The System Management Office has a key role in facilitating collaboration across the CGIAR System to support the fulfillment of CGIAR’s mission and the goals of the CGIAR Strategy and Results Framework.
Internal Audit of the System Organization
Internal Audit of the CGIAR System Organization provides independent, objective assurance and consulting services to the Audit and Risk Committee (ARC) of the CGIAR System Board and the CGIAR System Organization’s senior management. The provision of the services is governed by the Charter of Internal Audit Activity of the CGIAR System Organization.
Our Establishment Agreement
- Agreement establishing the CGIAR System Organization as an International Organization
- Accord instituant l’Organisation du Système CGIAR en qualité d’organisation internationale (French version)
- Background Note – Accession of new countries to the Agreement establishing the CGIAR System Organization as an International Organization (April 2019)
Our Hosting Arrangement
- Agreement regarding the headquarters of the CGIAR System Organization and its privileges and immunities on French territory
- Accord entre le Gouvernement de la République française et l’Organisation du Système CGIAR relatif au siège de l’Organisation et à ses privilèges et immunités sur le territoire français (French version)
- Background note – Establishment and HQ agreements – CGIAR System Organization