CGIAR GENDER Platform
GENDER (Generating Evidence and New Directions for Equitable Results) is CGIAR’s new platform designed to put gender equality at the forefront of global agricultural research for development. The Platform will transform the way gender research is done, both within and beyond CGIAR, to kick-start a process of genuine change toward greater gender equality and better lives for smallholder farmers everywhere.
Launched in January 2020, GENDER builds on a wealth of research and learning generated by the previous CGIAR Gender Network and the Collaborative Platform for Gender Research (2011–2019). It encompasses all 15 CGIAR Research Centers, 12 collaborative CGIAR Research Programs and 3 CGIAR System-wide Research Support Platforms.
GENDER is hosted by the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) in Nairobi, Kenya.
CGIAR GENDER community
Gender Research Coordinators from each of the CGIAR Centers, Research Programs and Platforms are core members of the Platform, along with the gender scientists and post-doctoral fellows from across the CGIAR System. The Platform also serves external partners, a group that includes national agricultural research and extension systems, university partners, non-government organizations, multilateral institutions and governments with whom CGIAR collaborates.
Where we work
The CGIAR GENDER Platform is global. It works closely with CGIAR scientists and external partners from across Africa, Asia and Latin America.
Expected outcomes of the Platform include:
- The global food system’s development agenda – including that of CGIAR and its partners, governments, regional bodies, donors and multilateral organizations – is informed by gender research and evidence generated by CGIAR and partners.
- Gender equality and transformative thinking is integral to the CGIAR System and to national agricultural research and extension systems, universities and NGOs, and it is a key criterion for priority setting, targeting and managing agricultural research for development at all levels.
- Partnerships for achieving gender equality are developed and strengthened, including linkages with existing CGIAR initiatives and external activities relating to gender equality and food systems development, to reach scale and impact lives.
- Nicoline de Haan, interim Platform Director and ILRI Gender Lead (Nairobi, Kenya) N.deHaan[at]cgiar.org
- Michael Victor, ILRI Head of Communications and Knowledge Management (Addis Ababa, Ethiopia) M.Victor[at]cgiar.org
News from CGIAR GENDER Platform
Vacancy: Science Manager, GENDER Platform (closing date: 21 February 2020)24.01.20
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Science Manager to w…Read more
Vacancy: Director, GENDER Platform (closing date: 21 February 2020)24.01.20
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a visionary, dynamic, and cre…Read more
New CGIAR ‘GENDER’ Platform and investment announced to build more inclusive agricultural benefits and greater food security in developing countries19.12.19
Promoting EQUALITY OF OPPORTUNITY
Sustaining FOOD AVAILABILITY
Nairobi, Kenya, 18 December 2019 — CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food-secure future,…Read more