CGIAR GENDER Platform
GENDER is a CGIAR impact platform that synthesizes and amplifies research, fills gaps, builds capacity and sets directions to enable CGIAR to have maximum impact on gender equality, opportunities for youth and social inclusion in agriculture and food systems.
GENDER puts equality at the forefront of global agricultural research for development, both within and beyond CGIAR, to kick-start a process of genuine change toward greater gender equality, improved opportunities for youth and social inclusion.
Our work enables women, youth and other groups involved in agriculture and food systems across Africa, Asia and Latin America to be agents of change. With more influence and greater access to, and control over, resources, these change makers can make food and agricultural systems sustainable, resilient and equitable.
We envision greater social and gender equality driving food systems to become more productive, sustainable, resilient and equitable.
As a CGIAR impact platform, GENDER guides and strengthens CGIAR research, ensuring its meaningful and lasting contributions to global targets for gender equality, opportunities for youth and social inclusion.
GENDER strengthens the performance of gender and social science research by providing the highest standards and setting strategic directions for current and future research efforts. This guidance enables CGIAR and its partners to conduct cutting-edge gender and social science research as well as to develop and scale innovations that advance gender equality, opportunities for youth and social inclusion.
GENDER also conducts its own independent, strategic research, across CGIAR science groups and research initiatives, to widen and deepen CGIAR’s impacts on gender equality, opportunities for youth and social inclusion.
As a CGIAR impact platform, GENDER’s mandate is to advance gender equality, opportunities for youth and social inclusion by:
- fostering global critical thinking, use of world-class evidence and appropriate metrics, within and beyond CGIAR
- delivering, improving and sharing methods, tools, standards, datasets, knowledge and science to build capacity among researchers and partners
- monitoring the performance and impacts of CGIAR research to ensure its contribution to global targets on gender equality, youth and social inclusion
- engaging with partners and shaping global policy discussions
GENDER, hosted by the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) and spanning CGIAR’s entire research portfolio, was approved by the CGIAR System Council in November 2019 with a mandate to operate until 2030. GENDER is led by its impact platform office and organizes its work in three interlinking modules: Evidence, Methods and Alliances.
How GENDER contributes to fulfilling the CGIAR 2030 Research and Innovation Strategy
- Nicoline de Haan, CGIAR GENDER Platform Director, N.deHaan@cgiar.org
- Vivian Atakos, CGIAR GENDER Platform engagement and policy, V.Atakos@cgiar.org
- Marianne Gadeberg, CGIAR GENDER Platform communications, M.Gadeberg@cgiar.org