Senior Rice Breeder
Senior Rice Breeder
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified Senior Rice Breeder who will be
based at AfricaRice Mbe station, Bouaké – Côte d’Ivoire. S/He will work under the supervision of
the Director of Research and Innovation
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is a leading pan-African rice research organization committed
to improving livelihoods in Africa through strong science and effective partnerships. AfricaRice is
a CGIAR Research Center. It is also an intergovernmental association of 28 African member
countries, with headquarters in Côte d’Ivoire.
The Senior Rice Breeder is responsible for the delivery of results related to GDI under the 2030
Rice Research and Innovation Strategy for Africa.
Under the supervision of the Director of Research and Innovation, the Senior Rice Breeder will
undertake activities with specific tasks that include, but are not limited to:
• Guiding a multidisciplinary team of rice improvement scientists in key aspects like novel
genetic resource utilization, conventional breeding, marker-assisted selection, and
• Supervising the researchers working on the rapid generation advancement (RGA) facilities
in Bouaké, Côte d’Ivoire, providing guidance on technical aspects and ensuring that they
are up to date and serving all breeders at various stations of the Center;
• Leading the modernization of rice breeding at AfricaRice and effectively coordinating
efforts geared towards the efficient implementation of the One CGIAR harmonized rice
breeding initiative in Africa;
• Providing appropriate technical guidance and backstopping breeding teams in the
development of improved high yielding genotypes adapted to the major rice ecosystems
and combining genetic gains for biotic and abiotic stresses and grain quality;
• Accelerating the production of advanced lines, promoting precision phenotypic
platforms, and coordinating international testing of breeding materials in close
collaboration with National Agricultural Research Systems across Africa, through frequent
interactions and integration with regional and country stations of AfricaRice.
• Supervising and coordinating the timely production of quality project reports and their
submission to donors
• Pro-actively contributing to resource mobilization efforts of the Center, actively engaging
in the preparation of the Global IDT of One CGIAR on ‘breeding for Preferred Varieties’.
• Identifying and managing risks and contributing towards the Center’s risk register;
• Undertaking any other duties as required by the needs of the Center
• Education: PhD in Plant breeding or related field
Work experience and key competencies required:
• At least 10 years’ post-PhD experience in breeding
• At least 5 years’ experience in research management
• Excellent analytical skills and knowledge of plant breeding and genetics
• Proven ability to manage large breeding network and multi-disciplinary teams
• Good project management, communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
• Strong scientific writing skills
• Effective managerial and leadership skills with proven ability in team building
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
• Strong understanding of national agricultural research systems in Africa
• The candidate should be able to communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English or
French and have a good working knowledge of the other language.
Terms and Conditions
• This is an internationally recruited position.
• AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender sensitive work environment.
• The initial appointment runs for three years with the possibility for renewal based on
performance and availability of funding.
How to apply
1. To apply, click on the following link:
2. Create an account if you are a new user, if not log on with your credentials to access
3. Select “Senior Rice Breeder”
4. Follow the step-by-step application procedure.
Only online applications will be considered (If you encounter any technical issue on the
career site during your application, or you are prevented to proceed with your
application until its final completion: Please kindly revert to us along with the
screenshot of the issue through this email: africariceHR@cgiar.org ). Applications are
not allowed through this email.
Not later than April 15Th, 2023
AfricaRice promotes equal opportunities and believes that the diversity of its staff contributes to
excellence. We thank all candidates, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For more
information on AfricaRice, please visit our website at: www.AfricaRice.org