Scientific Software Developer - Consultancy (Egypt/India)
Icarda HR Team
The scientific software developer will be responsible for the development, updating and maintenance of ICARDA’s GeoAgro portal, mobile apps and RS applications. The candidate will contribute to and develop custom scripts for various scientific applications. S/he will be responsible for the development and deployment of online maps which include geospatial data repository and will provide technical support for GIS/RS software installation and related follow up of license inventory. Other activities include preparing technical documentation, providing active support and assistance to RS/GIS related trainings, capacity building, etc. The successful candidate will work diligently and cooperatively with the multidisciplinary project team, and will handle related responsibilities as assigned by Head of the Geoinformatics and Research Data Management Unit.
- Development of mobile applications (Android and iOS) for geotagged field data collection (Geotagging and Agrotagging) and digital extension services.
- Responsible for development, maintenance, and updating GeoAgro portal with new database generated by the unit and other incoming datasets from scientists on a regular basis.
- Prepare scripts and customized programs for routine data processing, extraction and data streamlining including documentation.
- Manage GIS/RS software packages, installation, and license activation.
- Develop and integrate algorithms for remote sensing workflow in the web, decision support tools, and data/product synthesis dissemination.
- Contribute to geospatial research that addresses key issues of agro-ecosystems approach in ensuring food security.
- Analyze data for scientific publication.
- Provide support to geospatial capacity building and related training programs.
- Assisti in data acquisitions, cataloguing, online data query system and perform programming on need basis.
- Responsible for other related tasks as and when assigned by Head of Geoinformatics Unit.
- M.Sc./M.Tech, B.Sc./B.Tech in Geoinformatics, Remote Sensing, Computer Science/Engineering/IT or related discipline.
- Minimum of 3 years proven experience and demonstration in software/web applications development.
- Good experience in managing Apache web servers, and coding in Python, VBA, and Batch script languages.
- Experience in object-oriented programming languages (preferably in C# and ASP.NET).
- Experience in SQL and database system (preferably in MySQL, MS-SQL), data analysis is a plus.
- Working knowledge on GIS, RS, and climate data analysis and processing. ArcGIS, QGIS and GEE is a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication in English and good inter-personal skills.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team in a multicultural and multidisciplinary work environment.
- Good organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Flexibility and positive attitude towards demand driven rapid-tasks and time management.
This is a consultancy role for which the initial contract will be for 1 year. Possibility of extension will be subject to merit and productivity of the staff, availability of funding and continued need for the position.
Please apply online by 15 August 2020 at https://apply.workable.com/icarda/j/FE32C2DB80/
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted further.
ICARDA is committed to increasing women representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from women.