RF/SRF - Egypt
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as a Research Fellow (RF)/ Senior Research Fellow (SRF) and Country Program Leader for a two-year, renewable appointment in the Development Strategy and Governance Division. This position is based in Cairo, Egypt.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Conducting research related to agriculture, social protection, nutrition and/or food system transformation.
- Developing and overseeing individual work plans and coordinating research activities.
- Recruiting and managing national collaborators.
- Developing and managing large/complex research programs and/or projects
- Publishing research in peer-reviewed publications.
- Developing research funding proposals and preparing donor reports.
- Liaising with donor and senior government stakeholders on projects
- Communicating research to a broad spectrum of stakeholders (researchers, academicians, policy makers, local partners.
- Creating links to external collaborators and groups
- Designing and supervising capacity-strengthening activities.
- Developing and monitoring of the program/ project budget.
- Providing regular reporting on program/project activities and budgets.
- Supervising the work of various researchers and support staff and provide professional mentoring to others.
- At Research Fellow II level: a PhD in Economics, Social Science, Development Economics, or a closely related field and five years of post-PhD- research experience.
- At Senior Research Fellow I level: a PhD in Economics, Social Science, Development Economics, or a closely related field and seven years of post-PhD- research experience.
- Demonstrated ability to perform critical analyses of own & others’ research
- Strong publications record in peer-reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated leadership in developing global research programs for policy recommendations.
- Demonstrated experience in effective interactions in a multicultural setting with other researchers and with policymakers, donors, and civil society, facilitating impact of research & capacity strengthening
- Willingness to travel extensively as required
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills with demonstrated excellence in written and oral presentations.
- Proven experience in developing, managing and reporting on program/project budgets.
- Demonstrated computer literacy (PC and Microsoft Applications).
- Proven record of fundraising success for broad and complex programs and projects.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and strong experience building and managing teams.
- Experience working in Egypt.
- Experience working in the CGIAR or UN system.
Physical Demand & Work environment:
- Employee will sit in an upright position for a long period of time.
- Employee will lift between 0-10 pounds.
- Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing computer terminal; extensive reading.
IFPRI provides research-based policy solutions to sustainably reduce poverty and end hunger and malnutrition. IFPRI’s strategic research aims to foster a climate-resilient and sustainable food supply; promote healthy diets and nutrition for all; build inclusive and efficient markets, trade systems, and food industries; transform agricultural and rural economies; and strengthen institutions and governance. Gender is integrated in all the Institute’s work. Partnerships, communications, capacity strengthening, and data and knowledge management are essential components to translate IFPRI’s research from action to impact. The Institute’s regional and country programs play a critical role in responding to demand for food policy research and in delivering holistic support for country-led development. IFPRI collaborates with partners around the world and is a CGIAR Research Center.
IFPRI offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. IFPRI is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that the diversity of its staff contributes to excellence. Women and developing country professionals are encouraged to apply.
At IFPRI, we prioritize the health, safety and wellbeing of our employees, families, and friends. In response to the increased transmissibility with recent COVID-19 variants, all US-based employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and provide proof thereof, as a condition of employment. Accommodations due to medical or religious exemptions will be considered.