Research Assistant – cereal and legumes (Nationally Recruited Staff) - Morocco
Icarda HR Team
|Reports to: Quality laboratory Coordinator|
|Location: Rabat, Morocco
Advertisement date: December 30, 2020
Closing date: January 29, 2021
Main purpose of position
The successful incumbent will support the supervisor in the field and laboratory operations related to cereal and legumes at ICARDA Morocco Research Platform.
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization supported by CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food-secure future.
ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. We do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas. ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. For more information: www.icarda.org
- Undertaking quality testing for ICARDA mandated cereal and legume species
- Keep up-to-date on developments in quality analysis through the scientific literature, and publish research findings in ISI peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Near Infrared screening of cereal and legume seeds
- Development of calibration for NIRS analysis
- Carry out assigned field and laboratory research activities
- Collecting, managing and summarizing data
- Maintenance of laboratory safety, rationalization, and proper working equipment
- Supervision of daily workers
- Performing any other job assigned by the supervisor
Education, qualifications and experience
- BSc or MSc in Chemistry, Food Technology, Agronomy or associated disciplines
- At least 2 years’ experience in agricultural or food technology research at national level;
- Experience with Inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectroscopy and Continuous Flow Analysers would be considered
- Experience with protein determination electrophoresis in gel would be considered
- Knowledge of food technology equipment and design of experiments
- Comprehensive knowledge of associated disciplines with good teamwork, interpersonal and ability to work effectively with multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams;
- Excellent English, French and Arabic communications skills;
- Capable and willing to work in a fast-paced and time sensitive environment, and able to adapt to unforeseen challenges and tasks that arise;
- Holder of a valid Moroccan driver’s license with clean driving record.
Terms of appointment, salary and benefits
This is a nationally recruited position available for Moroccans for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package including a competitive salary, medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave, five months’ maternity leave, 15 days’ paternity leave. The successful candidate will be offered an initial contract of 1 year, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and fund availability.
How to apply
Please apply online at Research Assistant – Cereal and Legumes – Nationally Recruited Staff – Morocco – ICARDA (workable.com) by 29 January 2021. Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
ICARDA is committed to increasing women representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from women.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.