Research Analyst II
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks to hire a highly motivated, energetic, and data-oriented Research Analyst to work with senior researchers at IFPRI’s New Delhi, Washington D.C. and Dhaka offices. Successful candidates will engage in quantitative research to support policy engagement activities under a broad portfolio of research on issues relating to food policy and social protection in India and Bangladesh.
Job duties will include support to web data scraping, quantitative data analysis, literature reviews including policy and program reviews and assistance in the preparation of reports and journal manuscripts. Support to policy and stakeholder communications activities is also expected. Successful candidates will work with an energetic set of senior researchers based in IFPRI’s New Delhi, Washington DC and Dhaka offices who conduct research in topics in agricultural and applied economics and work in strong collaborative project teams. Opportunities exist for co-authored publications, conference presentations and travel within India and abroad.
This position is a one-year, renewable appointment, based at IFPRI’s regional office in New Delhi, India. Interested applicants must have work authorization to work in India.
Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Collating and analyzing large survey data sets on employment, agriculture, consumption expenditure.
- Assisting with the preparation of manuscripts and data products.
- Conducting literature reviews, preparing presentations and presentation materials.
- Providing research and analytical support for workshops and conferences.
- Supporting activities related to communications and knowledge mobilization (media engagement, stakeholder consultations, writing blogs, preparation of research and policy briefs).
- Participating in study design, protocol development, preparing IRB applications.
- Traveling, as needed, to field sites or international locations.
- Master’s degree in Economics, Statistics, Development Studies, Public Health, Nutrition, or related fields plus minimum of 3 years’ relevant post-master’s experience is required.
- Experience using statistical software packages, especially Stata.
- Experience with web scraping using programming languages such as Python.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake complex programming tasks.
- Prior work experience with research organizations in India or Bangladesh.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Ability to work efficiently, independently, and pay close attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills, high energy, ability to multi-task and the ability to work well with people.
- Willingness and ability to travel within India, including to rural areas, and internationally.
- Intermediate or advanced experience with GIS software.
- Experience with building and/or maintaining a public-facing website.
- Prior experience with large-scale survey data such as DHS, NSSO, CMIE and/or administrative data from programs.
- Experience working with international and national researchers.
- Knowledge of major social protection or livelihoods programs in India or Bangladesh.
- Fluency in written and spoken Hindi and Bangla.
Physical Demand & Work environment:
- Employee will seat in an upright position for a long period of time
- Employee will lift between 0-10 pounds.
- Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing computer terminal; extensive reading.