Project Manager (Aquaculture)
The Borlaug Institute for South Asia (BISA) is a non-profit international research institute dedicated to food, nutrition and livelihood security as well as environmental rehabilitation in South Asia, which is home to more than 300 million undernourished people. BISA is a collaborative effort involving CIMMYT and the Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR). Please refer to this website for more information: http://bisa.org/
We are seeking dynamic, innovative, self-motivated and service-oriented professional for the position of Project Manager (Aquaculture) depending on the experience and qualifications of the successful candidate, to work within BISA’s new collaboration with WorldFish. WorldFish is an international, nonprofit research organization with headquarters in Penang, Malaysia, and offices in Asia, Africa, and the Pacific. WorldFish’s mission is to harness the potential of fisheries and aquaculture to reduce poverty and hunger in developing countries. Please refer to this website for more information: www.worldfishcenter.org
The Project Manager (Aquaculture) shall work as part of a team to national and international researchers conducting applied research on breeding and mass production of several micronutrient rich small indigenous fish species (SIS), providing technical training to private sector and government partners, collecting information on SIS production and sales by partner businesses, and conducting surveys of households adopting SIS farming technology. This research will contribute to commercialization of SIS aquaculture and the design and scaling of more effective innovations to improve nutrition.
The position will be based at Guwahati, Assam.
The main responsibilities of this position will be:
- Oversee the implementation of the project carried out by a team of national and international staff, local partners, and consultants, ensuring their performance meets expected quality standards set by the Project Leader.
- Together with the WorldFish Odisha and Assam program managers, the project technical consultant and project officers (the project team), develop and implement activity work plans for research on the mass production and commercialization of several SIS fish in various aquaculture systems.
- Directly supervise four Technical Coordinators and manage their annual performance target setting and monitoring and coordinate the activities of two project affiliated PhD students in agreement with their institutions and the wider project team.
- Provide guidance to four Technical Coordinators and affiliated PhD students to carry out activity tracking through monitoring forms, and surveys, and produce summaries for donor reporting and research.
- Organize project team meetings and outreach activities, including liasing with relevant government and private sector actors.
- Substantively contribute to the design and implementation process of project interventions and M&E activities.
- Draft annual work plans and quarterly activity budgets with inputs from other team members, ensuring project is implemented in line with donor agreement, making adjustments as appropriate.
- Draft progress and completion reports according to donor requirements.
- Participate in pre-selection of sites for field activity.
- Work closely with staff of private and government hatcheries and other fish seed businesses, and students to conduct research activities on the mass production of several SIS and directed.
- Sustain quality of research work by ensuring a consistent process that leads to continued research support, accurate
record keeping, and development of replicable protocols for mass production of SIS.
- Demonstrate breeding techniques and provide practical training on their application for private and public hatcheries and other fish seed businesses.
- Develop training modules for fisheries officers, farmers and pond workers in aspects of SIS breeding.
- Planning training courses, field days, workshops and other such activities related to research, development and technology transfer.
- Conduct training in fish breeding and practical aspects as scheduled under project.
- Coordinate on station field work and lab work to ensure consistent collection and analysis of data to ensure quality research results and technology development.
- Develop data collection tools and mechanisms of traceability to track the dissemination of improved seed.
- Together with the project team carry out data analysis and interpretation of results to write quality reports and science out-puts including journal articles.
- Oversee the implementation of surveys of farms producing SIS.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by Project Leader as and when required.\
We are seeking candidates with the following academic qualifications, experience, skills, and attitudes:
- M.F.Sc./MSc in Fisheries/Zoology/Life Sciences/Agriculture/Rural Development, or a closely related field. PhD is preferable.
- At least ten years of experience managing fisheries projects, fish farm/hatchery businesses in private sector, natural resources management (NRM), agriculture nutrition or rural development projects in rural India.
- Willingness to travel frequently between Assam and Odisha for project coordination.
- Strong organizational skills, proven record of effective coordination between multiple partners, must have problem solving and decision making, negotiations, team management and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent communication skills, strong initiative and good judgment
- Ability to write well in English with experience of preparing donor reports in English.
- Good skill in Use of smart phone and Mobile App.
Desired skills and qualifications:
- Practical experience of fish breeding and hatchery management.
- Experience in conducting applied biological research.
- Experience in managing implementation of household surveys.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, Communication, Teamwork, and Critical Thinking.
The position is for an initial fixed-term contract of 1 year with annual renewal subject to performance. Thereafter, the contract would be renewed based on overall performance and the continued availability of funds. BISA offers an attractive remuneration package, with a range of benefits including health insurance.
Email cover letter and CV as a single document with last drawn salary, salary expectations and notice period no later than Sunday, July 25, 2021, to Human Resources, CIMMYT-BISA.
(Email: email@example.com / Please insert Position Reference number: IN21134 in the subject of your email). Please note that only
short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Women candidates are encouraged to apply.
CIMMYT-BISA is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.