HEAD of ACCOUNTING
HEAD of ACCOUNTING
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified Head of Accounting who
will be based at AfricaRice Head Office in Cocody, Abidjan – Côte d’Ivoire. She/He will work
under the supervision of the Director of Finance and Corporate Services.
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is a leading pan-African rice research organization
committed to improving livelihoods in Africa through strong science and effective
partnerships. AfricaRice is a CGIAR Research Center. It is also an intergovernmental
association of 28 African member countries, with headquarters in Côte d’Ivoire.
The Head of Accounting is required to provide the following responsibility the Center.:
• provide high level professional support to the Director of Finance and Corporate
Services in order to ensure the integrity and custodianship of all financial, treasury,
accounting, inventory and asset management functions of the Center.
• provide efficient functioning of the accounting unit, at both AfricaRice headquarters
and all field stations (Outstations), under the leadership of the Director of Finance
and Corporate Services.
• support the coordination of the year end closing of books and audit processes.
Under the supervision of the Director of Finance and Corporate Services, the Head of
Accounting will undertake activities with specific tasks that include, but are not limited to:
• All Treasury functions, relating to headquarters and all the Outstations;
• Accounting operations, relating to headquarters and all the Outstations;
• Facilitate the timely closing of monthly accounts, with any appropriate financial
analysis and financial reporting as may be required by AfricaRice Management,
during the period of engagement;
• Participate and coordinate with the External Auditors on the timely completion of
the yearly audit and assist in the provision of responses to Management letters
in collaboration with all affected units. This will include any special project audits
as may be required by the donors;
• Ensure continuous development and strengthening of appropriate internal control
mechanisms to ensure the integrity and effective management of the operations
of the Accounting Unit, including the accounting activities in Outstation offices;
• Assist in organizing, training and development of AfricaRice Accounting Unit staff
at headquarters and the representatives based in Outstations in order to ensure
that they are able to operate effectively in their particular areas of responsibilities
• Continuously contributing to the review and develop financial procedures and
guidelines for proper functioning of all financial operations. In this regard to assist
in the development, review and update of appropriate Accounting/Finance
Procedures Manuals for use both at Headquarters and at all Outstations;
Undertake any other duties as may be assigned by the Director of Finance and
Education: Minimum Required: Master’s degree in Accounting or Finance and fully
qualified accounting professional (CA, ACCA, CPA, CMAor equivalent) will be preferred.
Work experience and key competencies required:
• Minimum Required: Master’s degree in Accounting or Finance and fully qualified
accounting professional (CA, ACCA, CPA, CMAor equivalent) will be preferred.
• Minimum of five years of progressive experience in accounting or financial
management or related fields.
• Experience in managing project -based accounting systems.
• Experience living and/or working in a developing country.
• Ability to use multi‐module Financial Accounting software and have a high
proficiency in use of Ms Excel, Access, Word and other standard software.
• Ability to work in a multicultural team.
• Ability to work in a stressful environment and under pressure.
• Ability to motivate and manage staff.
• High integrity and openness combined with commitment to good governance.
• Desirable: Strong knowledge of ERP systems (knowledge of AGRESSO will be
a major advantage).
• The candidate should be able to communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English
or French and have a good working knowledge of the other language.
Terms and Conditions
• This is an International recruited position.
• AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and
gender-sensitive work environment.
• The initial appointment runs until three (3) years with the possibility for renewal based
on performance and availability of funding.
How to apply
1. To apply, click on the following link:
2. Create an account if you are a new user, if not log on with your credentials to access
3. Select “Head of Accounting”
4. Follow the step-by-step application procedure.
Only online applications will be considered (If you encounter any technical issue on
the career site during your application, or you are prevented to proceed with
your application until its final completion: Please kindly revert to us along with
the screenshot of the issue through this email: africariceHR@cgiar.org ).
Applications are not allowed through this email.
Not later than JULY 12, 2023
AfricaRice promotes equal opportunities and believes that the diversity of its staff
contributes to excellence. We thank all candidates, but only shortlisted candidates will be
contacted. For more information on AfricaRice, please visit our website at: