Corporate Communications Manager (G-22-116)
Location: Lima Lima Peru
The International Potato Center (CIP) is looking for a highly motivated experienced Corporate Communications Manager to lead its publishing and content dissemination. A dynamic well-organized communications professional with excellent writing and editing skills, the ideal candidate will think across publishing platforms and experiment with new forms of storytelling. S/he will be an astute judge of what communications best suit what audiences and purposes, scrupulously maintain high standards of accuracy, and both inspire others and be inspired by their ideas.
The position: the position will manage a small team of design professionals and coordinate the work of a cadre of content producers to develop CIP outputs, including annual reports, reports, brochures, multimedia materials and others, to raise CIP’s profile, enhance its brand and inform of its results and achievements. The manager will write, review and edit copy for various audiences (external, internal) and communications channels.
The successful candidate and will report to the Head of Communications and will be based in Lima, Peru.
- Lead the development and monitoring of the corporate content strategy to ensure quality and standards appropriate for CIP outputs.
- Lead the development of overarching corporate messaging for CIP, aligned to the CIP and CGIAR research and other relevant strategies.
- Lead the preparation of major corporate publications, particularly the CIP Annual Report, including story selection and messaging, writing and editing, supervision of consultants, providing direction for print and online versions.
- Oversee with creative direction development of high-impact multimedia content (video, audio, infographics, data visualizations) for use by research leaders, senior management, fundraisers, etc. in promoting CIP’s work to its target audiences.
- Identify and maintain a cadre of high-quality writers, editors, proofreaders and multimedia content producers.
- Work closely with scientists to synthesize research outputs through high quality writing and editing into a variety of formats for multiple audiences—such as factsheets, briefers, outcome stories—demonstrating the case for investment in CIP through impact, lessons learned, and transferrable solutions.
- Oversee CIP’s creative assets library, namely, managing the global photo and video library and leveraging high impact visual across communications products.
- Support CIP participation in high-level events, developing communications plans and coordinating the production of targeted content on CIP channels.
- Act as a mentor and coach to communications staff, especially those with writing and editorial roles.
- Manage and track materials on the CIP corporate publications and website to ensure it is regularly updated and the content is relevant, accurate, and correct.
- Draft, edit and review speeches and other presentation materials at the executive level for external engagements.
- Contribute to the CIP- and relevant CGIAR-wide communications communities of practice, sharing and communicating work updates and lessons, participate in department and system-wide learning, reviewing and planning activities and ensure that these activities follow the center’s and systems standards and agreed channels.
- Lead annual budgeting process and ensure that corporate communications plans are aligned to science and engagement goals and are delivered within budget and defined timelines/metrics
- Liaise with the C&O team on CGIAR branding, funder acknowledgments, open access, repositories, international campaigns, curation of CIP’s news, events, and publications to cgiar.org, and other areas of collaboration between Center Name’s outreach, web, publication and library services, and CGIAR’s global communications services.
- Establish and enforce editorial policies and procedures, in line with C&O global policies and procedures. Assist in the elaboration of and regularly update publishing guidelines for staff and consultants working with content development.
- Supervise a multicultural team and consultants across multiple time zones to maximize their productivity, innovation and outputs in support of CIP’s communications strategy and the broader CGIAR C&O global strategy.
- Comply with national and international health and safety laws, regulations and standards.
What are we looking for?
- Preferably Master’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations or any other relevant disciplines or bachelor’s degree with 5 years of progressive international experience.
- 5 years of progressive international experience in similar research and/or development organizations.
- Experience in communications, information/knowledge management, public awareness or publishing, ideally in an
international development and/or a scientific setting experience.
- Experience engaging with communications ‘clients’ and partners and delivering products and services in busy and time-pressed environments.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, including a growing portfolio of scientific publications.
- Working knowledge of Spanish is a plus.
What are we offering?
• Exciting career opportunity in an international organization.
• 3-year contract with possibility of renewal.
• Internationally competitive salary, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience. Internationally competitive pension and health plans