Communications Manager (G-23-54)
Location: Lima, Peru and Nairobi, Kenya
The International Potato Center (CIP) is looking for two highly motivated and experienced Communications Manager to lead its publishing and content dissemination. A dynamic well-organized communications professional with excellent writing and editing skills, the ideal candidate will think across publishing platforms and experiment with new forms of storytelling. S/he will be an astute judge of what communications best suit what audiences and purposes, scrupulously maintain high standards of accuracy, and both inspire others and be inspired by their ideas.
The position: the position will lead the development and dissemination of high-quality content, including annual reports, reports, brochures, multimedia materials, and other communication outputs, with the goal of raising CIP’s profile, enhancing its brand, and increasing awareness and uptake of CIP solutions among key stakeholders. This involves managing a team of design professionals and
coordinating the work of content producers, as well as writing, reviewing, and editing copy for various audiences and communication channels, both traditional and digital. The Communications Manager will also be responsible developing appropriate communication products that enable global and regional outreach efforts to engage with donors, governments, non-governmental organizations, and
other stakeholders across the CGIAR network.
The successful candidates will report to the Head of Communications and Public Awareness. One of these positions will be based in Lima, Peru and the other in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Contribute to the development of the corporate content strategy and ensure its implementation to ensure quality and standards appropriate for CIP outputs.
- Contribute to the development of the corporate outreach strategy in partnership with
relevant CIP areas and support its implementation.
- Contribute to the development of overarching corporate messaging for CIP and production of high-quality content to enhance CIP’s brand and increase awareness of CIP’s research and solutions.
- Lead the preparation of major corporate, regional and project publications, including story selection and messaging, writing and editing, supervision of consultants, providing direction for print and online versions.
- Oversee the creative direction development of high-impact multimedia content (video, audio, infographics, data visualizations) for use by research leaders, senior management, fundraisers, etc. in promoting CIP’s work to its target audiences.
- Support senior management in the implementation and oversight of an internal communications plan.
- Work closely with scientists to synthesize research outputs through high quality writing and editing into a variety of formats for multiple audiences—such as factsheets, briefers, outcome stories—demonstrating the case for investment in CIP through impact, lessons learned, and transferrable solutions.
- Oversee CIP’s creative assets library, namely, managing the global photo and video library and leveraging high impact visual across communications products.
- Guide identification of key high-level events globally and oversee delivery including developing key messages, side event organization and coordinating the production and dissemination of targeted content on CIP social media channels.
- Identify and maintain a cadre of high-quality writers, editors, proofreaders and multimedia content producers. Act as a mentor and coach to communications staff, especially those with writing and editorial roles.
- Manage and track materials on the CIP corporate publications and website to ensure it is regularly updated and the content is relevant, accurate, and correct.
- Contribute to the CIP- and relevant CGIAR-wide communications communities of practice, sharing and communicating work updates and lessons, participate in department and system-wide learning, reviewing and planning activities and ensure that
these activities follow the center’s and systems standards and agreed channels.
- Liaise with the Communications team on CGIAR branding, funder acknowledgments, open access, repositories, international campaigns, curation of CIP’s news, events, and publications to cgiar.org, and other areas of collaboration between CIP’s
outreach, web, publication and library services, and CGIAR’s global communications services.
- Establish and enforce editorial policies and procedures, in line with C&O global policies and procedures. Assist in the elaboration of and regularly update publishing guidelines for staff and consultants working with content development.
- Monitor and analyze communication activities to measure the effectiveness of communication strategies and adjust tactics as needed.
- Comply with national and international health and safety laws, regulations and standards.
What are we looking for?
- Preferably master’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations or any other relevant disciplines or bachelor’s degree with 5 years of progressive international experience.
- At least 2-5 years of progressive international experience in similar research and/or development organizations.
- Experience in communications, information/knowledge management, public awareness or publishing, ideally in an international development and/or a scientific setting experience.
- Experience engaging with communications ‘clients’ and partners and delivering products and services in busy and time-pressed environments.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, including a growing portfolio of scientific publications.
- Working knowledge of Spanish is a plus.
What are we offering?
• Exciting career opportunity in an international organization.
• 3-year contract with possibility of renewal.
• Internationally competitive salary, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience.
Internationally competitive pension and health plans
Why should you consider this opportunity?
- CIP is a global and reputable international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background.
- CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improving nutrition and well-being, and gender equity for poor people in roots, tubers farming and food systems in the developing world.
- CIP is a member of the CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food-secure future. CGIAR science is dedicated to transforming food, land and water systems in a climate crisis. Its research is carried out by 13 CGIAR Centers/Alliances in close collaboration with hundreds of partners, including national and regional research institutes, civil society organizations, academia, development organizations and the private sector.