CGIAR Global Ethics Counsel (Deadline: January 4)
CGIAR is looking for a dynamic and highly skilled professional to develop and lead the newly created CGIAR ethics function. Joining CGIAR offers an exciting opportunity to contribute to its mission to end poverty, hunger, and environmental degradation.
The CGIAR Ethics Counsel is a strategic, director-level position responsible for leading and stewarding the implementation of the CGIAR Ethics Framework, including promoting shared awareness of ethics and integrity expectations and obligations across CGIAR, including among governance officials, senior executives, staff members, and other stakeholders.
CGIAR is a global research partnership for a food-secure future. CGIAR science is dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources and ecosystem services. Its research is carried out by 13 CGIAR Research Centers/Alliances, with over 10,000 staff based in over 90 countries. CGIAR Research Centers/Alliances work in close collaboration with hundreds of partners, including national and regional research institutes, civil society organizations, academia, development organizations, and the private sector.
This is an exciting time to be joining CGIAR as we have undertaken a transformation of the CGIAR System into a more integrated “One CGIAR” that will allow us to achieve greater impact with our research. One CGIAR is a dynamic reformulation of CGIAR’s partnerships, knowledge, assets, and global presence in key areas where innovation is needed to deliver on the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030. It is centered around collaborating more closely in a way that enables us to deploy scientific innovations faster, on a larger scale, and at a reduced cost so that they can have a greater impact where they are needed the most. The transition to One CGIAR will have profound implications on the way CGIAR and its constituent parts are structured and operate: with unified governance, an integrated structure, a new research modality, and more pooled funding, One CGIAR will be better positioned to achieve its mission.
About the Position
This position fills a critical gap in how CGIAR collectively understands the full range of ethical risks and works with internal stakeholders and adopts a whole of CGIAR culture of ethics integrity, responsibility, and accountability in accordance with the CGIAR Ethics Framework. With objectivity in the role assured through direct access to the CGIAR System Board as required, this new role has the authority and responsibility to design and steward implementation of the means by which CGIAR can implement a cohesive ethics culture across CGIAR. In the context of leading the strategic implementation of the CGIAR Ethics Framework, the CGIAR Global Ethics Counsel will have the following key accountabilities:
- Leading the development and implementation of CGIAR Codes of Conduct and ethics-related policies and tools that help embed ethics into CGIAR’s operations and leadership, and that enhance CGIAR entity compliance with ethical standards and policies.
- Promoting an ethical organizational culture by developing and implementing policies and communication strategies that enhance CGIAR entity compliance with ethical standards and managing the administration of CGIAR’s whistle-blower hotlines.
- Coordinating the establishment of a robust system that provides for the objective, impartial resolution of allegations of ethics violations; managing the whistle-blower procedures and providing best practice guidance, informal conflict prevention, and resolution mechanisms), and independent appeals processes.
- Providing in-confidence ethics advice and guidance to governance officials, management, staff, and third parties in regard to their professional associations with CGIAR and proactive management of conflicts of interest in cooperation with relevant CGIAR stakeholders.
- Coordinating and supporting a network of ethics focal points across CGIAR who serve as local points of contact on ethics matters.
- Conducting ethical and reputational risk assessments in close coordination with relevant stakeholders as appropriate and preparing an annual CGIAR Ethics Report.
- Preparing annual/multi-year ethics budget and work plan according to CGIAR’s planning and budgeting guidelines.
- Fostering and/or contributing to highly collaborative teamwork and communication within the designated Function and across the CGIAR System as a whole.
This position requires a qualified and highly experienced senior ethics professional who exemplifies personal integrity, objectivity, and confidentiality; who brings a passion to help build a culture of ethical integrity and accountability across all teams and through all levels of operations and management, and gravitas to their role while also demonstrating a capacity to build relationships and serve as trusted counsel; and who can serve as one of CGIAR’s key champions for CGIAR’s Core Ethical Values. Further, the ‘One CGIAR’ global reach of the position requires a high level of flexibility and creativity to support CGIAR’s Governance Officials, management, staff members, and third parties regarding their professional associations with CGIAR. As such, the jobholder should be able to operate in a rapidly evolving environment.
Submitting Your Application
To apply and download the appointment details, please visit: https://candidates.perrettlaver.com/vacancies/ quoting reference 4909.
CGIAR is committed to fair, safe, and inclusive workplaces. We believe that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence and is critical for our mission. We offer a multicultural, multicolor, multigenerational and multidisciplinary, collegial working environment, with a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and flexible working arrangements. We are consciously creating an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and our commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities.