Associate Research Fellow/Research Fellow
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as an Associate Research Fellow/Research Fellow for a 2-year, renewable appointment in its Development Strategy and Governance Division. This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya. The candidate will play a key role in conducting research, capacity building and policy communication activities to support IFPRI’s research programs in Kenya, Sudan, Yemen and other countries. The final grade level will be determined by demonstrated experience and track record of publications.
Please note that ARF appointments at IFPRI have a maximum term of three (3) years, inclusive of any approved appointment extensions. After the maximum appointment term, ARFs may be considered for a promotion to the next level.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Conduct research related to agricultural development in fragile contexts, food security and poverty reduction, and related topics.
- Design and supervise the implementation of household surveys.
- Conduct causal impact evaluations using advanced econometric techniques.
- Coordinate and lead research projects.
- Liaise with donor & senior government stakeholders on projects.
- Publish research in peer-reviewed publications.
- Communicate research to a broad spectrum of stakeholders (researchers, academic, policy makers, local partners).
- Conducting capacity-strengthening activities.
- Contributing to the preparation of internal and external program reports and reviews.
- Supervising various research support staff and provide professional mentoring to others.
- PhD in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Public Policy, or closely related social science field.
- Minimum of 3 years of post-PhD experience (for RF).
- Excellent knowledge of STATA.
- Demonstrated ability to perform critical analyses of own and others’ research.
- A track record / strong pipeline of publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated experience in effective interactions in a multicultural setting with other researchers and with policymakers, donors, and civil society.
- Willingness to travel as required.
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills with demonstrated excellence in written and oral presentations.
- Experience working in a developing country setting
- Experience working in Kenya and/or the Middle East.
- Advanced knowledge of R, Phyton, Survey CTO.
Physical Demand & Work environment:
- Employee will sit in an upright position for a long period of time with little opportunity to move/stretch.
- Employee will lift between 0-10 pounds.
- Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing computer terminal; extensive reading.
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) is an equal employment opportunity employer – F/M/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.