AfricaRice - Research Assistant - Agricultural Economist
Research Assistant – Agricultural Economist
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is looking for a highly qualified research assistant-agricultural economist to be based in Ambovombe, Madagascar. He /she will work under the supervision of the Project Coordinator in
AfricaRice is a leading Pan – African rice research organization committed to improving the livelihoods in Africa though strong science and effective partnerships. AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research
centers that are members of the CGIAR System Organization (CSO). It is also an Intergovernmental association of African member countries. Its membership comprises of 28 countries with headquarters in Côte d’Ivoire.
Under the supervision of Project Coordinator, the Research Assistant – Agricultural Economist will perform these below activities, but are not limited to:
• Develop and maintain the project M&E plan based on results framework, related indicators, and annual plan of work
• Support the design, development, and implementation of an M&E platform from the beginning to the end of the project
• Design and implement harmonized data collection tools for different level of indicators across project activities
• Train the project team members and partners on the M&E platform and the use of data collection tools developed to facilitate their adoption and proper use
• Prepare consolidated monitoring reports at required project levels and provide timely M&E information as input for project staff to develop specific recommendations for corrective actions of the project
Master’s degree in economics, agricultural economics, or related field.
• Experience in conducting capacity building activities at smallholder farmers levels
• Experience in project monitoring and evaluation with knowledge of CsPro and GIS is essential.
• At least three years of relevant work experiences.
• Data recording, field implementation of project activities, collaboration with partners (public and private sectors), willingness to spend more time in the field, impact oriented,
• Documents and data requested by supervisor submitted on time with appropriate quality level
• Previous experience in emergency projects
• Working under stress with difficult conditions
Key competencies and abilities:
• Knowledge in design of projects
• Developing and managing complex M&E systems
• Capacity in data recording and field implementation of project activities.
• Ability to accurately collect and organize experimental data from field trials
• Competence in collaborate with partners (public and private sectors)
• Dedicated to impact-oriented field activities
• Skill in statistical analysis of research data
• Be able to work independently under multicultural and multidisciplinary environment
• Have a high degree of professional motivation
• Taking initiative, drive to deliver reliable results
• Willingness and openness to learn and develop new skills
Advanced ability in writing and speaking, in both English and French and should also speak Malagasy.
Terms and conditions
• This is a regional recruited position
• AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment
• The initial appointment is for one (1) year with a contract renewal possibility.
How to apply:
• Only online applications will be considered (If you encounter any technical issue on the career
site during your application, or you are prevented to proceed with your application until its final completion: Please kindly revert to us along with the screenshot of the issue through this
email: africariceHR@cgiar.org). Applications are not allowed through this email.
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To Apply click on this following link: http://eservices.africarice.org/application/index.php and follow
these below instructions:
1.Create an account if you are a new user, if not log on with your credentials to access active vacancies
2.Select “Research Assistant-Agricultural Economist”
3.Follow the step-by-step application procedure.
Not later than 06 November 2021
AfricaRice promotes equal opportunities and believes that the diversity of its staff contributes to excellence.
We thank all candidates, but remember that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For more information on AfricaRice, please visit our website at: www.AfricaRice.org